What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 drosera 'Lake Badgerup' not doing so well...

Hi all!
Can you please tell me what's going on?: I have two DLB (D. 'lake badgerup&#39
wink.gif
doing awesome, and two that are DRY and no dew
wow.gif
sad.gif
I dunno what's going on! Thanks
biggrin.gif

oops...! Conditions: 73-80 degrees F, humidity: 60-73. In a terrarium peat/pearlite 2 Uv/a/b/ full spectrem grow lights
confused.gif
wink.gif

Got the same thing (except 80-100% humidity). I figured it was going through summer dormancy...

pygmy.jpg

It is happy though, still forming traps. Just very, very dry.

I think that the plants are probably going dormant as a response to heat stress. These plants typically grow in cool conditions of the Australian winter/spring. Humidity is not an issue with them, but photoperiod and temperature are. If you want long term success in terraria, take care to keep the temps down, and vary your photoperiod to match the seasonal norm, and give them as much light as possible: they are light hungry plants. If the plants are continuing to form traps, they are not dormant, but if no traps are forming in the plants center, reduce the watering a bit, and cross your fingers. With the onset of cooler fall weather, they should start growing again.

When I say dry I mean DRY!!! Wickedthistle's plants are beautiful compared to mine!
smile.gif
Also, two are doing great!
confused.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
So, should I remove them? the problem is: They're all growing on a big pile of moss in the sphagnum terrarium... Thanks!!
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

That moss could be your problem. The moss can lift the plant right out of the soil! And it's hard to see with those tiny plants. In the pic you can see I've tried to tweezer the moss down, but I finally gave up last night and re-potted.

Well, a few roots come out, do you think that's the problem? The moss bed is about an inch tall
confused.gif
wink.gif
wow.gif
That's how they were growing at Phil and Jeff's...
confused.gif
Looked nice then. I guess I should try to remove them from the moss, but HOW?
confused.gif

Thanks!
smile.gif

Can't hurt to trim the moss a little and see if it gets better. I used tweezers to pull the moss out, but the little buggers grow back fast. I finally just transplanted my pygmy, the root was less than an inch down and it didn't go into shock. It also might depend on the moss. The one I have is the stuff that grows pretty tall (1-2") and that causes the problems. One of my pings has very short moss, which causes no problems. Hope that helps!

Back