What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Told yah! Your right on time
biggrin.gif

Well, I am seeing a peltata and spatulata sprout now! We're getting there. However, it seems flies are showing up out of nowhere in my tank (it's winter here, they are no longer breeding or flying around). I suspect they may be reproducing in my plants. I see a white film on top of the soil on many of my drosera seedling trays, as well as some of my larger plants. I suspect it's mold...there is also a few tiny clear/white worms "swimming" around in some of the dirt. Should I use fungicide? Would it harm the tiny seedling drosera? Any ideas are appreciated, thanks!
smile.gif

uhoh!
wow.gif
those are fungus nat larvae!(the catipilars of the little flys you see) The white "moldy film" on the top is silk spun by the nats!
wow.gif
and the moldyfilm might also be "damp off!" yes, use a fungicide to kill the "dampening off" or it will kill your baby dews rapidly!
wow.gif
also, use an insecticide to kill the larvae, or they will eat the roots of the baby dews and kill them!
wow.gif
I wouldn't wait more than a day to do this for these things will kill your little dews fast!

Oh my! Well, I already introduced some fungicide to the plants water supply in the hopes this would be a gentle way to do it for the plants. I didn't want to spray the drosera. so now I just have to buy some insecticide. How do I know what brands are safe for my cp's? Are insecticides much like fungcide in the sense that most ought to be safe in moderation?
confused.gif

uh...you're a glutton for punishment?

Just kidding.
wink.gif
smile.gif
 Since no one else is coming up with an answer I will tell you what I used on my VFTs when I had a gnat problem last year.  I used a Pyrithrin (sp?) based flying insect spray on all my houseplants.  After the first use it had knocked them down pretty good.  I used it again several days later for good measure. Whether this will work on the worms without hurting the dew seedlings I don't know.

Hope this helps, here's my experience with scale, aphids, and ants on my CPs: I had bad scale on tiny Drosera binata seedligs, I sprayed a full-strength solution of Orthenex (for roses) and it did the job with NO damage to ANY plants including Sarrs, VFT, and several Drosera, and I even got some solution in water basins full of terrestrial Utricularias and I never noticed any side effects so I'm fairly sure you coud use it in your situation. I've also used it on many Nepenthes and NEVER had a problem with it. The only drawback is it seems that sometimes certain pests develop an immunity to it so perodic application of another chemical helps control stubborn pests but it gives good results for quite some time.

Hey I use to have gnat all over the place there would not leave me alone last year they were all over . This year becase I got my 20 gal fish tank with sundews Im not seeing many nats at all ........... Well im still seeing them STUCK THE THE SUNDEWS trying to get free
smile.gif
HAHAHA ITS FUN to watch them suffer as they get eattin alive . Teach them for flying in my food up my nose and at my computer screen last year.

I am making more clones of my cape sundew now to put in the other side of the house . Its just a matter of time
biggrin.gif

Wow....see what a little pout will get you?
smile.gif

Thanks for all of your advice and tips, I will get moving on it now that I have some ideas.
smile.gif

Back