What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your favorite sundew?

What's your favorite sundew? - Figured i should make a poll on it

• Rosetted Subtropical Sundews

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • Temperate Sundews

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Fork-Leafed Sundews

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Tropical Sundews

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Wooly Sundews

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Pygmy Sundews

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Tuberous(specify;regular, erect, climbing, fanleafed, rosetted)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • South African Winter Growing Sundews

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • King Sundew

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Whatever you pick,please specify what species(don't click this

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
My D. Burmannii - green is my favorite. The pale green is sooo delicate and the little tan and charcoal grey tendrils sprouting from the tips are very distinctive. It is one of my best eaters.
biggrin.gif

I picked the one your not suposed to
tounge.gif
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Looks like the poll is pretty evenly rounded! The difference is only one or two votes between all the categories.

Temperate. I love filiformis and intermedia. ^_^

I'd have to say Scorpioides.They are the first gemmae this greenhorn recieved and they are looking goooooood.Thanks BCK.It may change this summer when all the gemmae I have grow up.Thanks BCK and Tamlin for getting me hooked on CP's again.
Mark Wilson

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Wilson @ Dec. 14 2003,08:43)]I'd have to say Scorpioides.They are the first gemmae this greenhorn recieved and they are looking goooooood.Thanks BCK.It may change this summer when all the gemmae I have grow up.Thanks BCK and Tamlin for getting me hooked on CP's again.                            
                                                               Mark Wilson
A pleasure
smile.gif
drawing you further into the addiction. The more, the merrier! As for your preference changing once the gemmae have all sprouted, I think you will just have the delema of having all of them as your favorites.
laugh.gif

smile.gif

BCK

I must agree BCK.They all are such cool plants.I'm still coming home from work and checking the pots for growth but I do stop and kiss my wife now,LOL
Mark W.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>My favorites are the ones that grow well for me with the least effort, are larger and continue in vigorous growth year-'round.</span>

Nobody mentioned spatulata. If I can't kill 'em - they can't be.

I vote for the Queensland Drosera.  The schizandra and prolifera especially.  It's a close call, my favorites seem to rotate between pygmies one week, woolly's another week, and so on...
smile.gif

-Homer

Tough to say, when you only own 10% of this Family.  
biggrin.gif

But, my vote would be Drosera Multifida "Extrema"!  The fact that it can fork over 60 times casting a beautiful crimson Web of death traps, makes it one of the most intriguing to hobbyists and outside spectators alike!  

To boast an entire Drosera group I'd say the Tuberous.  They have many curious unique plants and probably the group of Drosera that interest me the most, at the moment.  
biggrin.gif

Homer, I just got my first prolifera! I'd been seeking it for some time now and I'm excited to have it in my collection!
biggrin.gif
Now I only need D. Schizandra to get all three Queensland Sisters! Woohoo!

Although I love my native Brazilian species like D.graminifolia, D.chrysolepis, D.villosa, D.ascendens, D.graomogolensis, and others, I have to admit I have a strong attraction to the petiolaris-complex.
After seeing the huge flowering D.regia at the Bonn Botanical Garden during the 1998 ICPS Congress, this also became one of my favorite species.
Although I couldn't find the mysterious D.meristocaulis on Neblina during the 1998/99 expedition, this is certainly one of my favorites too (it's fantastic enough in herbarium specimens!).
But my favorite Drosera species is neither of the above, not even Brazilian. It is D.cistiflora. Since I saw this species in the wild in S.Africa, it has been #1 on my list. In my opinion this species has all that makes any Drosera fantastic. It has the overall large size, with long leaves and long stems. It forms large populations which can easily be spotted because of their size. They grow in areas with magnificent scenery.
And best of all, they not only have the largest flowers in the genus, together with D.pauciflora, but also the most amazing colors. It would be sufficiently fabulous if they only came in purple, for example. But they had to go a step further and also be found with red flowers, lilac, white, yellow, etc.
In all its variability, size, and colors, D.cistiflora is surely a star of the genus Drosera.

Fernando Rivadavia

Wow Fernando...I'm sold! What a great job of describing D. cistiflora. It sounds like a fantastic plant. Did you by any chance get any photos of the plants in the wild in S. Africa? Examples of flower colors? That would be impressive to see.

Thanks for sharing such a glowing review of cistiflora. Yet another plant to dream of...

Suzanne

I have a D. spatulata. I picked tropical ones though!!

Nice photos...beautiful flowers.
smile.gif
Thanks so much for the link. Great web page.

My own partiality is for the petiolaris species. I mean the Brazilian species. Or maybe the pygmy species? I suppose if I were ever to get D. pauciflora or D. cistaflora into my collection they would steal my heart. The fact is, I love them all so I didn't even vote. Impossible!

Right now I`d have to say D.spat no.1 since it has a rosette just over 2 in. and is pushing up a scape! Cant wait for the seed.......:)

Back