What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm delighted with my spatulata

I have a philo vine that had a soil gnat infestation.When I misted it each morning a small cloud of these insects would fly off.

I got the spatulata and now the majority of these pests are curled up in the tips of the CP and I only see one or two buzzing around after misting the philo.

Can I propagate the D.spatulata from a leaf cutting? If so could someone please briefly describe the procedure?

Also,the pictures of D.spatulata I see in the books on CPs ,that I have,show a small single plant.The one I got from Exotic Gardens is a clump resembling a small bush. Do all spatulata varieties form clumps as they mature?

Drosera spatulata is a wonderful species, and the good new is that it is quite varied in form throughout its widespread range which makes this easy growing species fun to collect.

It reproduces quite well from leaf cuttings, or more commonly from seed since this is a self seeding/self sowing weedy species in collections. If you want to experiment, take one of the older leaves by pressing down on the petiole close to the stem. The ainm is to get the end of the petiole as close to the stem as possible. This is then treated in various ways depending on the technique you choose. Growers report success by floating the leaf in pure water kept close to the lights. Others half bury the leaf in its proper orientation in peat sand or in milled Sphagnum moss. Give good light and high humidity and do not allow the medium to dry out. I like to use those translucent disposable food storage containers.

Clumping in my collection is usually a result of self sown seed into the pot. After a season or two these seedlings grow to completely fill the pot. Some varieties do offset, but I rarely notice this since the seedlings usually bury them before I can transplant.

seminole, wern't the seminoles indians?

Seminole, I'm glad you'rew happy with you spatulata. I hope I will be as delighted with the spatulata that I ordered as you are with yours. It's taking longer to get to me than I expected. I guess I'll just have to be patient, but I just can't wait to see what I get.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Grim @ June 06 2003,10:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">seminole, wern't the seminoles indians?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
rolleyes.gif

As far as I know, they still are.

I use the name because of my family's  long association with the Seminole Flavoring Company...which  is now extinct.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tamlin Dawnstar @ June 06 2003,7:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Drosera spatulata is a wonderful species..........[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Great.Thanks for the tips on propagation and your insight.

Sounds simple enough....so I'll try both methods and see which works better.

I didn't realize that the clumping was due to self seeding....so if I understand you.....to keep a single plant of D.spatulata.....I need to intervene and prevent the plant from producing flowers and remove any offsets that may appear.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LOs Angels Traphole @ June 06 2003,11:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Seminole, I'm glad you'rew happy with you spatulata. I hope I will be as delighted with the spatulata that I ordered as you are with yours. It's taking longer to get to me than I expected. I guess I'll just have to be patient, but I just can't wait to see what I get.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yes indeed...I couldn't be happier with the spatulata that I got from E.G.

It started producing dew within 24 hours and is  becoming tinted all over with shades of red. Very pretty.Like I said above, it really is a first class gnat grabber.

I keep it in my east facing window and it gets from 5-6 hours of sunlight that ranges from brillant to partial during this peroid.It seems happy enough but I suppose more time is needed before  giving a final verdict on my  windowsill conditions.

If I had to make a negative comment it would be the small size of the plant's leaf  structures. I have to use a magnifying glass to see the details clearly.Then again,that's a reason to try and grow one of the larger species.
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Seminole @ June 07 2003,06:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I didn't realize that the clumping was due to self seeding....so if I understand you.....to keep a single plant of D.spatulata.....I need to intervene and prevent the plant from producing flowers and remove any offsets that may appear.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I think you'll find that it also clumps because it so readily grows plants from any leaves that are touching the soil.  
biggrin.gif

You will now be able to supply an almost infinite number of friends and co-workers with these plants.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I just got my plant yesterday. I was very surprised by how small the plant is and I'm kinda disappointed by its appearance still I'm not going to return it because it's still a rather beautiful thing. I would like to know from other people that have ordered D. Spatulatas from this site if the plant grows bigger, if so how big does it get and how long does it take to grow bigger? Thanks, L.A. Traphole

Hey traphole,
An individual spatulata usually stays pretty small. The largest I've ever heard of was 4 or 5 inches across, but none of mine have come anywhere close to that. Mine larges is maybe 1 and 1/2 or 2 inches in diameter.
That said, they become much more impressive when they clump...You can literally have a sundew carpet with these suckers....as far as the eye can see...
wow.gif
wow.gif

Phil has clumps of spathulata in his garden that rival a softball...

your plant is small because it is young, petflytrap has been moving stuff so fast lately they don't have the room to hold plants for very long. The plants are hardened off from Tissue Culture at the Labs Greenhouse, Phil gets them in, puts them in the greenhouse and holds them long enough to add a little bulk, ensure that they are pest free, and when they ship, they always pick the best plants and never send out something that is sub-par. So rest assured, you got a good plant.

I actually, have probably seen your plant! Isn't that kinda a neat thought. The batch you bought from was probably in the greenhouse last time I was in Houston, and I thought they were quite nice specimens!

Back