What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosophyllum Seeds - what to do?

Hi Drosera (and such) Experts
Ok so I am thinking about Drosophyllum seed planting in the next month or so and will probably refrigerate til then but
I read in "The Savage Garden" that sandpapering the seeds and then soaking in water for a few days helps. What temperature of water - I know it sounds silly but you know I could pour boiling water on the seeds and damage them or put them in ice water and they wouldn't soak properly.

I guess as no temperature was given just plain room temp. water will do in a little cup for about three days.

Any thoughts - how have others acheived successful germination and got pass the potential fungus stage I read about.

Thanks
Mr Sundew

I dunno how big the seeds are, but I think it helps if you shave a slice of the side of the bum off it... Stand it up like a pear, and sorta, slice a bit off. I think............

I took the seeds and soaked them in room temp water, shaking daily, for 3 days then planted out on pure vermiculite. Of 5 seeds I got 1 to germinate and it was growing well until my well meaning bro-in-law decided it was a too dry D. indica and saturated it. Needles to say the sprout died
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

As far as starting yours soon, from what I have read and been told it is probably best to hold off until spring so that the plant has a good "warm" growing season before cold weather sets in. Just my 2 cents

1 out of 5 germinating - I don't like those odds!!

These seeds are very stubborn! I have never had germination, although I have tried slicing off a bit of seed coat, sandpapering the seed coat, soaking in Gibberillic acid, soaking in smoke water, soaking in boiling water, and direct sowing of the seed. I was fortunate to get some fresh seed harvested less than a month ago in Portugal, and hope this factor will make a difference. I will wait until next spring to make the attempt, the plants hate cold and damp conditions, and these are not far off. Remember, these plants are not Droserae, and require very different culture from most typical CP. Good luck with your seed, and please keep us posted as to your progress with them.

A while back I had 6 seeds and got them all to germinate. I can't figure out what I did wrong after that but soon after germination they all croaked.

What I did to get them to germinate was do as Parasuco said and cut a slice from the bottom, so you can see the white part inside. I then put them in Gibberillic acid for a week and they germinated in about 10 days.

About 5 days later the little sprouts went black though.

If you manage to get them past that I'd love to hear what you do.

Cheers, Troy.

Tony where did you accuire your GA3 from (PM me if you like) I forget are you in the US or overseas?

I'm gonna be trying Drosophyllum soon (seeds on the way now actually) but the seed vendor no longer sold GA3 due to the price.

I read something about "liquid smoke" (used when cooking meat) for soaking CP seeds before sowing - anyone here try that one???

Many people say it is very difficult to get the Drosos germinated: try this one -> i take the seeds and "put" them into jiffy pots (pressed peat, do not know how it is called or if its the same) and then put the jiffy pots in a dark place or place a pot over them. Get the jiffy pots always wet - I receive my plantlets after 10 days and have my big one now for 3 years. Try it.
Karl-Heinz

Thanks for the info Karl!

Yes we have the Jiffy peat pots & pellets here too.

How soon after germination do you begin allowing the soil to dry out? How often do you water do you flush the pot type watering or simply water so the soil get some moisture?

Reading about the plants habitat I am guessing I should be able to keep it in my highland terrarium in an area which doesn't get a lot of direct wind/fog from the ultrasonic humidifier...

As a successful grower of the Droso any tips you can give me will be heeded!
smile.gif

Carolina Biological Supply has GA3

Hi,
I put the seedling drier when the reach a sice of 3 - 5 cm, so after 3 weeks I think. Watering older plants?
I think it is "easy" to water: when the leafs "schlappen" (in german) "hanging down", when they look like they need water, I only water my plants. So I let the soil dry out the rest of time: the plants will show.
Karl-Heinz

Heinz & Swords,
Let me get this straight you take one pressed peat pot (Jiffy pot) and put the seed in it (nothing else just an empty pot and seed?).
Then put it in a cupboard (or other dark place) and put another pot over it (upside down I assume) and keep the whole thing wet (put the peat pot on a tray of rainwater?) and wait for 10 days.

Is this the method?

confused.gif
confused.gif

John

Yes, thats it. "My" method. it works for me, hopeully for you to.
Heinz

Mr. Sundew,

What Heinz is refering to are the compressed peat pellets made by Jiffy. These look a bit like a miniature hocky puck. You place them in water and they expand to about 3" high. There is a small depression in them where you can place the seed and then follow along with his method.

Heinz,

Thanks for sharing your method, it gives me new ideas to try
smile.gif

Jiffy : thats what they are. Often sold here so get the seedling better started: you do not have to replace them to soon. And the Drosos do not already like to be disturb at their roots , I find out after lots of trying.

Sharing is the best way. Sometimes I may have a question and another one can help
wink.gif

Heinz

Excellent! Thank you Karl for all the information!

I got my registered package receipt this afternoon so tomorrow morning I will be getting my seeds and a couple flasks of invitro CPs at the post office. It's gonna be hard to get to sleep tonight knowing they're just down the road and I can't have them til 9 in the mormning...!
wink.gif

Back