What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering drosera

Question #1: Do the same rules apply to drosera as to VFTs…cut off the flowering stem to accelerate growth?  If so, can this be done after they have already flowered or is it better to just leave them alone.
Question #2: They have just been repotted...how do you clean dirt and stuff out of the petals...I got a little sloppy?   I know "petal" is the wrong word but these three are new kids in my CP collection and I am new at the Drosera.
confused.gif

no you dont have to cut it doesnt drain it as much as vfts mine has three flower stems and it is doing not as good but it is also sending out a ton of shoots across my terrarium
i had one now i have 8

i wash my leaves of if they are dirty my friend had his covered and it died but he also didnt have the rightt conditions
so yeah i would wash off the leaves

I was told a couple of years ago, that removing the flowers from pygmy sundews which have a tendency to go into dormancy in summer, can prevent this happening, thus guaranteeing that some plants survive to produce gemmae later in the year.

I've been doing it with two large, orange-flowered species D. callistos and D. sewelliae and it works for me. The plants which I don't allow to flower, mostly, don't enter dormancy, whilst the reverse is true for those that do flower, often resulting in their death. As the outstanding feature of these two species is their stunning flowers, I do let about half my plants flower though.

Vic

Back