What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has any one else experienced this?

I could not find any gemmae of D.scorpiodes ( My favourite pygmy) last year so I ordered some adult plants this year from a vendor. They came looking healthy and well packaged however they seem to be dying on me. At the same time other pigmies I have grown from gemmae are doing great in the same conditions?

This is the 2nd time I have not had luck with receiving adult pygmies, has any one else had similar experiences?

scorpiodes is a rather easy "giant" pygmy to grow, if you have the right conditions. I grow my colony on the windowsill where the humditiy is about 50%. THe soil mix is peat/sand. I keep it on a saucer of water.

THe decline of the health can be due to the root disturbance from the shipping bare-root method. Keep the plants from extreme heat and cold. Make sure there is soil around the roots (im not sure with others, but i have had this prbelm of repotting bare-root plants and not having enough soil around the roots).

I suspect it is from having their roots disturbed as Zach mentions.  D. scorpioides has long, very fine roots that are hard to remove from soil without breaking.  I transplanted some from a shallow tray (about ¾" deep) in which I had sprouted their gemmae.  They were less than an inch tall but still had a tap root that was an inch or more long!  These never did grow quite as large or as vigorous as the plants in a 6" pot which had had the gemmae planted directly in it.  They definitely don't like their roots disturbed.

alien.gif

Expect a high mortality rate with any mature pygmy species after disturbing the roots. I never transplant once the plants flower.

This species grows a fairly long stem cloaked with the previous seasons dead leaves, and crowned with new growth. I do not try to bury this stem which could lead to it rotting, nor do I try to remove the dead leaves which act to protect the stem as it elongates.

Back