What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera peltata

I found four seedlings of D. peltata yesterday
biggrin.gif
.  I am new to growing tuberous sundews and would appreciate any advice on how to keep the babies alive.  Many thanks in advance.  (They are growing in 2:1 sand:peat mixture).

Did you happen to post a message about 12 hours ago regarding this issue? If so, I recall that the temps were 35 C, and you wondered if that was too high??? Anyway, keep the seedlings below 78 F. According to the ICPS seedbank data that is crutial.

As for soil mixture, 2:1 is perfect. My seedlings are growing in the same medium. Give these plants as much light as possible!

good luck

D. peltata are quite easy to grow. They have a wide distribution so should tollerate a wide variety of conditions. The main thing is to keep them cool and wet. I would also try to keep the photo period bellow 12 hours although it has been sugested that photo period is not a factor for inducing dormancy.

A 2:1 peat sand mix works well for me.

George

Hi homer,

yes, I posted this topic some time ago, but realized that it vanished when the forum migrated to the new setup, so I reposted the topic again.

I will try to bring the temerature down, but there is a limit to this as the weather is rather warm these few days.

Binataboy, thanks for the information.

let us know how it goes and at what temperatures etc...

George

Well, the temperature is stil roughly the same. I cannot find any place cooler than 35ºC. The temperature at my other growing spot, where I am propagating D. filiformis, goes up to 44ºC in the day!
ghostface.gif

Lets see whether I can start a whole colony of super heat-resistant Droseras!

Hi. Mybe you are mesuring the Temps in the sun? Your thermometer shouldnt be in the sun.. You should mesure the temps in the shade...
Hope i helped/

YtK

Back