What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. Spatulata dormancy?

Do Drosera spatulata need dormancy? If so, how do you handle it? Also any general care tips would be appreciated as mine haven't done too well. ( at least until my 11 month old chewed them up and spit them out, now they actually look healthier)

They are in 50-50 peat and perlite and kept in 5 hours direct sunlite. Kept wet, as in flytrap conditions.

Thanks
Tag

Drosera spatulata does not require any dormancy. if you keep it well lighted during the winter, it will grow just fine.

It is true that almost all forms of D. spatulata, especially the most commonly cultivated forms, don't experience a dormancy. However, plants of this species from the alpine regions of New Zealand experience freezing temperatures in winter and form a resting bud and this will also occur in cultivation, without such extreme cold. You are unlikely to have this form without being well aware of the fact though.

Vic

I have noticed a sort of dormancy in the NZ alpine forms from Ahipara and Mt. Ruapehu which do form a sort of resting bud (although not as pronounced as the Northern Temperates) and I have also had D. tokaiensis (D. rotundifolia x D. spatulata) form winter buds. My own D. 'Tamlin' grew well for 2 years, and then died back to the roots. I left the pot be, and it has regenerated with multiple crowns. Interestingly, all these forms except for D. tokaiensis are white flowered forms, which leads me to speculate that this might be a characteristic of plants with a 2N=20 karyotype (a common karyotype for the white flowered forms).

Drosera 'Tamlin' is my cultivar, published in the UK Society Journal this year. It is a white flowered form from the Queensland area with an odd humping habit, at least in my plants. I am not sure of the trait will be passed on from seed, but I guess time will tell.

I've known people with odd humping habits.
laugh.gif

Capslock

Wow, that is cool that you have your own cultivar. That's a very interesting trait!

Back