What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera filiformis Red

I live in South Florida.  All of the leaves on my D. filiformis red have died and it has formed a very tight hibernacula (I learned what that was from Tamlin).
-I know there is some controversy as to whether this plant needs dormancy but I understand that formation of a hibernacula  indicates that the plant needs a rest period…true?...false?…maybe?
-My other question is the little ¼” seedling that is growing next to it.  I know it will not survive three months in the refrigerator.  Is it too young to transplant?
-Also…Which method is best for Drosera, “bare root” or “in the pot”?
rock.gif

rock.gif

the same thing happened here to my D. filiformis red, despite growing outdoors in the very odd, warm weather (thats San Francisco for ya) D'Amatao told me they do well when its warm and die out when too cold, but some do form hibernacula.

Well, for the seedling, you have a chance taking it out and transplanting it, and none if it goes in the fridge, so just be GENTLE!

SF

My own plants have never formed a full hibernacula, but if yours have, I wouldn't argue with them. Give them a dormancy. Even if the plants from Washington Co, Fla do not go dormant there, they may not behave in the same manner under different cultivated conditions. Hibernacula equate with dormancy, and generally a reduction in the wetness of the medium, cold conditions and good air circulation is best for temperate Drosera species. So far my own plants are showing little signs of dormancy, but I have my photoperiod currently at 14h and this is likely why. I will give my plants a rest this winter under cold conditions since I am not yet convinced this is a "tropical" species despite the press it has received.

Tamlin, I will have to use refrigerator...perhaps a shorter dormancy period...say 1/2 months? The other alternative...what would happen if I just left it alone?
Do you think the seedling could be safely transplanted?
rock.gif

Falcon, do you have a Fili Red?

Also...I am growing this thing under two layers of window screen...I wonder if not enough light caused this???

I would just let the seedling be I think, as long as it is getting enough light to grow but it's your call. Transplant is an option as long as you make sure the roots are loose from the medium before lifting it out. I haven't experimented with a warmer dormancy, but it might be fine, especially if you keep the photoperiod at natural length. Photoperiod is the main factor affecting dormancy. Remember though, dormant temperate species require very little water since uptake from the roots ceases at that time. I have had a poor success rate from using the fridge to overwinter hibernacula. If you go that route, I suggest a light dusting of sulfer powder to discourage mold, I hear this helps.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.  Thanks for the information guys. I believe I will have to reformulate my plan.  I have an idea...kinda' wild...as soon as I think about it for awhile, I will post it to get your opinions.
tounge.gif

Back