What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello,

Just thought I'd like to share with you the containers I built for my pygmy gemmae that will be arriving within the next few weeks ( courtesy of Nepenthes Gracilis & Tamilin  
smile.gif
 ).  The pots are made out of 2" PVC pipe (10 foot section under $4 @ Lowe's), and 2" 'temporary end caps' that cost $.47 each.  Simply drill some holes into the cap and superglue the cap to the PVC pipe and you're done.

These tubes are cut into 8" sections... perfect for my terrarium.  The water containers that will house the pots are grooved, so water will be able to enter the holes in the cap.  

Just wanted to share my new technique for growing pygmy drosera.  I'll keep you posted as to the results of the plants.

pygmypots.jpg

That's way cool! A very ingenius idea you have there! I may have to copy it at some future point!

SF
biggrin.gif

Wal-mart is also clearing out its cheap, thin water bottles at 25 to 50 cents.  They stand about 8" to 10" tall.  Poke a few holes and there you go.

Although the PVC looks far more professional.

Nice pots! Now you will need to encourage good deep root penetration early on. This is the wet season so I would keep those tubes about 1/3 their length deep in water until May or June. D. paleacea is not as particular about deep pots, and mine do fine in a 4 inch pot. Other species will appreciate this depth much more.

As far as growing them in terraria, I never had much success with the attempt. The layer of glass cuts back too much of the needed light, and there is too much heat and lack of air circulation. I just grow them close to the tubes, nearly touching them and keep them as cool as possible in the cold cellar. They are really "outdoor" plants, light hungry little buggers!!

This is how I grow these plants, if you care to hear of it:

http://www.cpzine.com/article.aspx?cid=13&y=2002&m=10&d=12

Good luck with the Pipots. I have always wanted to try this method, just never got to doing it! I will soon though.

I considered the water bottle plan as well once, but like plastic drink cups the plastic is not stabilized, and after a season it becomes brittle and falls apart. Keeping in mind the pygmys dislike of mature transplant and disturbed roots, I thought it best to go with a more permanent plastic.

homer , your ingenius ideas amaze me everytime , keep up the good work .

Thanks for the tip! I think I will try this with some of my pygmies.

Hi Homer,

I am having great difficulty finding the temporary end caps. Where did you find them?

There was an article in CPN about these, but the reason for making them was for tuberous Drosera(30 cm deep). Since pygmies and tuberous grow in the same place, makes sense that this concept will work for both. I will have to check the local home improvement shops for supplies. You did a brilliant job making those.

Regards,

Joe
wink.gif

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Homer,

Thanks for sharing this marvelous idea. I plan to try this with some tuberous Drosera this next week. Sure wish they made these PVC pipes in a square profile.</span>

Awsome idea.
smile.gif
How did you cut the pipe? Its looks awfully smooth and perfect. I don't have much in the way of saws. I do have a hacksaw I think.

I just wanted to stress again the need for pygmys to have a wet winter season. Be sure to keep the tubes deep enough in the water reserve, or the gemmae may not root, or if they do, may not form the deep roots they will need later in the cycle.

Thanks Tamlin, I'll put the waterlevel 1/3 the way up and keep it there until next May or June.  Just curious... how do gemmae "know" if the water level is higher or lower... since they are at the surface with no roots to begin with?  I'll take your word on this of course but I'm a bit baffled.  Does a higher water level saturate the surface soil to a great extent or something??

BTW, I got the end caps at Lowe's.  They are located in a cardboard box near the white PVC pipe 'fittings'.  Of course this might not be true at the lowe's near you but anything helps.

PlantAKiss, as for cutting the pipe, I used a skill saw (I believe).  I went to my parents to do that.  I have a hacksaw as well, but decided against using it because the cut is not as straight and clean.

I found the end caps, Menard's carries them as well. They only get three in at a time so I have to get them to special order.

Homer,

The whole process is probably all tied in with daylength, temperature and substrate moisture. I can't say with any authority that the gemmae *won't* strike if the soil moisture isn't high enough, but I can say that my gemmae strike much better with daily misting (provided there is ample air circulation). I hope you will do a little experimenting and report your findings.

Sean or George could probably say better than I how important this factor is. I am just going by my own experiences with sowing gemmae.

I've noticed that the palacea ssp roseana gemmae started to show visible signs of growth just a day or two after I recieved and *planted* them
wink.gif

I'll keep up the mistings and report back what results I get from the gemmae.

thanks!

Homer

I've noticed a neat find recently. With the automatic misting system misting every 10 mintues for 45 seconds the sundew section of the greenhouse can get pretty drenched at time, well a few of the gemmae on the plants rooted in the air and started to grow as epipytic drosera! (well if the water kept them wet enough)

Here's an update for you all:
July 8, 2004

The PVC pipe has held up very well to the light and water.  I was worried that the endcaps might fall off, but that is not the case.  The pots seem as strong as ever.  

As for the Drosera, take a look.  I'ver very happy with the results!  

pygmygarden.jpg

Now that the dry season is upon them, I let the water level drop down to 1/2 inch.  I'll keep you updated as to their condition as the seasons progress.

All these plants are from gemmae that you provided last November.  

thanks again,

Homer

Beautiful job! Beutiful plants! I've got mine in plastic sample containers that come with handles. Same idea. Just not as pretty!

I will have to take Copper's advice and try Menard's. I looked at Home Depot and theirs were too rounded on the ends.
Home Dept is like the #2 retailer in the World, last time I checked(behind....WalMart-shock), abut they never seem to have what I want. Lowe's(only in Omaha, not here in Lincoln) seems to have more intersting tropicals and supplies, and reasonably priced too.

Cheers,

Joe

On cutting the pipe, I have not seen them personally, but I saw an ad somwhere that had special pvc cutters. Whether it works on something this big in diameter, I have no idea.

Joe

Back