What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera cuneifolia

Anyone growing this species? Like you Tom :) I need some advice on growing this one as I may be getting it, maybe.

Hi William,

I think treating it like a subtropical will do it. In winter it sometimes dies back to it roots. Then you should keep them somewhat drier than during the rest of the year. One of my friends grew it this way for some years. Sadly it died last year.

I have some seedlings and I am waiting to see the shape of leafs. Hope they are real...

Jan

Hi Jan,

I have heard that the use of osmunda fiber as a medium might be a good idea since the plant seems to fare poorly in the standard mixes.

I am probably getting too excited about this, but I don't want to make any mistakes if the plant turns out to be the true species (this has never been the case to date).

Thanks for the reply!

Hi Tamlin,

I am currently growing it as others african sundews, but I am suspicious about its ID (ah, what a common feeling!). I got a lot of mis-IDed seeds recently, from differents sources, and my growlist should shorten of few species within the next weeks, as soon as I'll post them here (such as D.montana ssp tomentosa, affinis, coccicaulis, cuneifolia but this one is still too small for doing anything with it yet...).

The seeds have been sown in a plastic container with a lid, and stored on a shelve when i was away in New-Brunswick. There were sown on the 'classic' mix (2:1 peat:sand), and they etiolated a bit since they hadn't enough light. Even if they are 6 months old (at least) they are still 1/3" in diameter (even less), so a careful repotting is planned for today... I'll try either sphagnum or the classic mix, and see what happens. Hopefully, if they grow well, i should be able to post few pics by x-mas ;)

Hi Tamlin,

At the moment I have 2 lots of seedlings from different and 'guaranteed reputable' sources. They both are around 5mm in diameter and still too small to determine whether they are authentic or not. They were sown in a mix of 50/50 peat/sand and seem to be thriving. They slowed down for a while as the weather changed down here and started to warm up, but they have since taken off again. I'm hoping by the end of our summer that I'll have mature plants.

Regards,

Sean.

Sean,

I am hoping still to be as lucky as you were with seed of this species
biggrin.gif
Maybe with the cooler temps I will finally see some germination.

One thing that should be evident even in small rosettes is the near lack of a petiole, and the truncate lamina. Older plants will show a sort of bulge effect along the lamina superficially as in D. burmannii and D. slackii if you get my drift.

As to finding the true species, there are always problems as Tom noted above. It is a familiar feeling indeed when it comes to any South African species IMO. As a horticulturalist I seek different forms, and this contents me. I name them as I see them through the light of experience. So far though, I have found nothing that would lead me to think it was D. cuneifolia. Life is tough sometimes!

Ok. Based on what you say, I'll ease back on the worry. I might try some form of greater aeration than 50/50 P/S, my logic being this is the most typical mix, and most typical growers end up losing this species. If you have gone nearly a season, then it is promising!

Tamlin,

I thought I'd try and get a closeup of my seedlings at the moment. It isn't as clear as I'd like but you can still see enough detail. What do you think of these plants? Would you say they are matching what you would expect a very small D. cuneifolia to look like? I'm still hoping they turn out to be true. They don't seem to have much of a petiole and the leaves are nearly truncate (maybe they'll get a bit blunter as they age).

Drosera%20cuneifolia%20seedling.JPG

Regards,

Sean.

I think you have at least a contender for the title there Sean, but if I were you I would continue to seek a second opinion from someone who has actually grown the plant.....Stefan perhaps or Greg Bourke come to mind.....

Mine are looking a bit cappy at the moment, which is interesting as my slackii is looking great!! And to rub salt in, my seedling are about the same age as yours Sean!!

George

Thanks for the seed George. You can always get a plant off me if yours don't work out.

Regards,

Sean.

Thats right rub it in!!!

I think there is still to much temp fluctuation for the small plants. They are also quite wet, I asumed they would like this being seedlings, but might try drier conditions.

George

George,

I think it has got more to do with the temp fluctuations than the moisture level. Mine are quite wet and haven't seemed to mind it. The temps in my greenhouse are much more manageable than yours and I think this makes the difference. I seriously think you should consider chucking on some white 50 % shadecloth for summer. It won't cut out as much light as you think, the species you grow in there that require the high light levels will still grow fine.

Just something to think about. You've got to get all of those great Drosera seedlings to maturity so I can trade you later on
smile.gif

Regards,

Sean.

Interesting that you think the temps. play the major role, I have always thought that wetness would be the issue, What temp degrees are you referring to? Night time drops must be getting rare for you.

It's more the extremes of temperature during the day. I'm not exactly sure how high the temps are getting- George can be more specific on this- but I have been in there in the morning on a not so hot day and the heat was oppressive. I can only imagine how hot it will get in the middle of our summer.

Moisture may have something to do with the problem but I thought in this instance the heat may be the determining factor.

Sean.

It can get very hot very quickly. It got to 40 something the other day and got to 50+ last summer. I usualy move out all the non tropical plants before this happens... The thing I think is the problem is the speed at which this happens, 10 degrees in 15 min is not uncommon! But the slackii is loving it as are the regia!

George

Back