What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phill Mann and Robert Gibson

Awww, I just had to post this. How often do you get to see two of the formost Drosera experts and naturalists side by side? Tamlin is often teased with the names of King of the Dews, or God of Sundews (its sort of a running joke here on the forums) but THESE two men are the real royalty, dirty knees and all. We know why they have dirty knees, don't we!

Anyone growing Drosera mannii? Yup, that's him. He discovered the plant. How does a man find and recognize a plant with a rosette the size of a dime, and be aware that it is a new species? Well, on his knees I guess. Maybe thats how they preserve their *childlike* wonder for these plants!

I am working on Phill to get him to PLEASE start marketing his video CD of CP from the Northern Territories which he sent me for review last summer. Guys, you have to see this! If you love Drosera you will not be able to close your mouth. There are scenes where he is driving through a brush fire, and through puddles we call "ponds" here in the States! The scenery is incredible and there are even native..... critters. That's crocodile country! I mean, man, you gotta REEAAALLY love CP, right? Well, both of these men do, and their contributions of knowledge and generosity have greatly enriched the CP world community over the years. They go where few men go, and bless us all with their sharing.

Phill would be telling me to "cut that crap" about now, so I'll let it go at this. But I had to share this photo, which as I said is used strictly without permission. <giggle> I figure if they don't like it they'll sue me for all I'm worth, (and it'll serve them right).

Thanks to Adnedarn for hosting this photo so I could share it!

Auniqueroadsign.JPG

For those that don't know, that's Phill on the left and Robert on the right.

We are lucky down here in Australia to have people such as Phil and Robert who are so dedicated to the world of CP's. Hopefully one day I may be regarded as highly in the CP world as these two guys.

Sean.

Tamlin,

Now that we've had a look at two of Australias Drosera experts, perhaps now you should give us a look at the US 'King of the Sundews'- ie- yourself. I think you should get your head in here to give us all an idea of what you look like. It's always good to be able to put a face to the name.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Sean.

Oh dear oh dear. Can I use an older photo or must I appear in my current decrepid form? OK, I'll do it, but you gotta go first.

You keep on at the pace you are going and you certainly will find yourself in the "statue" crowd even if I have to carve it myself.

Gee, I should have thought about this a bit more before I opened my mouth.

OK, I've managed to scrape up one of the few photos that I've let be taken of myself in recent times.

It's a photo of me and my baby daughter Alannah. I'm the ugly one on the left. It was a bright day so that explains the squint.

Sean%20and%20Alannah5%20Queenscliff%20040903.JPG

OK, now you're up Tamlin. Show us your best. And if anybody else feels like sticking their head in here, please feel free.

Sean.

Lol Tamlin, seems that someone else is asking for your picture, as I did in General forums ;) (you 'owe' me this, now that you've seen me!).

It is starting an interesting topic: seeing the cpers of the world: for 'real' (well at least you can see them!)!

Everytime I met someone new; 'in real', it is always a great surprise, cpers are common on their passion, but often very different on everything else! lol It always do some weird meeting
biggrin.gif

I like this one, since I look a little 'classy' on it... Otherwise, I would be a bit reluctant too to post a picture :p. It was last january.

Tom001.jpg

...I have a few of Tamlin. Since we are in the mood of posting photos without permission. If there is a different one you want up man, just send it over and i'll get it up. I have two pictures to share.
cool.gif
this one is Tamlin at age 31.
tamlinage31.jpg

and this one is Tamlin and the D-28 in the fall of 2001.
WilliamandtheD28Fall2001.JPG

(Thanks Tamlin for naming the photos way back when you sent them to me so I knew what to say about them.
tounge.gif

Andrew

Thanks Andrew!

This sort of works out as a strange form of payback for posting without permission: the younger shot of me was taken by Phill Mann in 1983 when he and his lady stayed with me awhile on his U.S. tour. The remarkable thing about that shot is that my mouth is closed. After reviewing the habitat shot photos Phill brought with him, that is an amazing thing!

I look about the same as in the newer photo, except there are a few more worry lines (comes from cultivating difficult species, I think) a lot more laugh lines, and some face fur that earned me the title "Sir Francis Drake" on Halloween this year.

Well Sean, if you see me on the streets in Oz, now you'll know it's me, except my mouth will be wide open of course!

I got a great letter crammed with photo's from Phill today. All in all he and Robert covered some 2830 kms. 53 Drosera species, 11 species of Utricularia, Cephalotus and Aldrovanda were seen and, most importantly, recorded on GPS. Until now, the locations were all in Phill's memory some of the sites stretching back some 20 years to his initial discovery of them. Well, none of us are getting younger and this record will serve future generations and is yet another testament to the generosity of these men.

Another focus on the expidition was to record the discovery of D. binata in western Australia. Phill states: "Until it was found here, it was believed to exist in the East only. I had been down before but it was such a thick bush area that I couldn't even see my knees or feet and as I had already seen
three tiger snakes nearby, I wasn't keen on the thick area.
Well when we rocked up this time there was a huge open area where a large fire had burnt everything. The D. binata, hamiltonii and Cephalotus were there in the thousands and thriving on the open life now. I also wanted to log the D. fimbriata site as it is a hard plant to find. Well that was
until we stumbled over it under the car where I was driving."

This serves to illustrate that apparently 2 things are as common as dirt (err, laterite) in Oz: the incredible diversity and profliferation of CP, and also the omnipresence of
s-s-s-s-snakes. If Phill was worried, *I* would be terrified: he sort of makes Crocodile Dundee look like a wimp. I can just about hear him say "Snake? Naw, that's nawt a snake.....now THIS is a snake!" <gulp>

I have his permission to begin marketing his video CD as mentioned above! I have to figure out a reasonable price, and then will begin beating the drum in ernest trying to sell them. I am sure I don't need to say that this is a very worthy cause. Anyone interested in "jumping the gun" please feel free to email me. Most of us will never see OZ, but now thanks to Phill we do have a chance to see these plants at their best in their stunningly beautiful Australian homeland. He knows that as soon as they CD's are released they will be copied and redistributed uh, freely, so I am thinking advance orders will be the best plan to net him some funding for his efforts. The world being what it is.

Now I just need a talented, kind, and hopefully helpful forum member to design a nice envelope to place the CD's in and we can begin to roll with this!

*perk!*  Did someone say..."design"??  
wow.gif

From the looks of things in here...there be some miiiiiighty fiiiine lookin' gentlemen in the CP world.  Must be something in the sundew juice that gives this effect.    
wink.gif

smile.gif

Thanks for the pics and the account.  Glad to hear the CD can officially be released.  I want one.  
smile.gif

Suzanne

I think we can arrange a little deal here! Go professional, yeeeeha!

Hee Hee,

Good to put a face to the emails Tamlin. I spoke to Robert last night on the phone after receiving the photo of the two of them. It is a classic. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of myself to post tonight. How do I do it again??

By the way, the cheap flights were available again yesterday so I've booked another trip to WA for April and one for Darwin in May!!! Too much FUN!

Greg

Greg,

You better stop having too much fun and get to attending your collection!!! Utricularia need regular division as you well know, and all this botanzing and romance is probably putting a real stress on your babies ;-)

To post a photo you need to have it uploaded onto a website. Cut and paste the Url. When you add a reply to the post, click the "image" button, and paste the url into the window that opens, click ok, and add your text. Hit post, and you will add yourself to the gallery of Gods, Heros, Icons, Kings and Legends. <SNORT>

We would certainly like to see a photo of the Crown Prince of Australian CP, although I do believe I have seen your big nose poking out of my screen an another ocassion (all the better to find CP with I bet!) of websurfing.

Once you master the technique, how about sending a nice D. chrysolepsis, hmmmm? I sure would like to see this plant, if you know what I mean?

I couldn't get the pic to work

Don't worry Tamlin, I scanned the crysolepis pic several days ago and forwarded you a copy.

I'll forward some more pics to you Tamlin.

<Tamlin bows low>

Thank you sir for enriching my life. I only wish there were a thousand as gracious as you are.

Back