What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What am I doing wrong with the seeds?

Hi, I got some drosera seeds a while ago from some very nice people. Well I planted them in pots with a 50/50 mix of peat and perlite. On top I layered it with some chopped live sphag. moss. Then I sprinkled the seeds on top of the pots. Here's the thing where I think went wrong, Everyday I've been lightly misting the pots with some rain water...Well it's been two weeks now and I haven't seen any sprout yet...
What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

What species drosera are they? Some require stratification before planting. Some just take awhile before they sprout.

maybe you washed the seeds away? highly unlikely unless your misting very hard or too much
rock.gif
. Zongyi

2 weeks is not long enough for many Drosera species to germinate, particularly if the conditions are not ideal. Give them another few weeks before you start to worry.

Sean.

Stop misting them daily, there is little benefit as most dont need this for germination and you are likely to bury the seed. Put the pots in a ziplock bag in warm temps and not too bright light and be patient. Seed may take months to germinate depending on the species.

Yay!  The seeds finally germinated!  I was about to throw the pot away to make room for other plants, but on my way to the trashcan I saw several little sprouts.  They looked like little weeds at first so I was a little hesitent to keep the pots but I did anyway.  That's a good thing because now the sprouts are actually the Drosera seeds and now they have their first little D.aliciae leaves.  The long germination I think was probably due to their species.  I don't think I'll be sowing any other seeds in Live Sphagnum because they overtake the seeds, thus causing problems.  The only sprouts that I see were the ones that were on the peat.  The other pot that I sowed in all choped sphagnum grew and I think engulfed the seeds now.  Oh well, at least I learned from my mistakes...  Is there still a way to save the seeds in the other pot?

I doubt it, but DON'T ever give up on any sown pot of seeds for at least a year. Your choice of sphagnum wasn't a good idea, but there is a chance that something may come up. Drosera seeds aren't like garden veggie seeds: they often take a long time to finally germinate. I have had seed finally germinate after a year's wait.

Back