What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis

LA Traphole, I dont believe anyone meant any malice toward you. Please dont take it as such. As long as you give the proper name when you forward plants or information to other growers then all is well. If you wanna call it alba or albino or scooby flippin doo in your home then by all means go right ahead, its your house and nobody can tell you different. All that matters is when you give plants or information to the next person you also give the proper name. Thats all thats being said here
smile.gif

Steve

You're totally right, Steve. I know that no one meant any malice towards me and I did not mean to come off as hostile to Tamlin or anyone else (and sorry if you got that sense). I was just clearing things out.
wow.gif

I do have the Savage garden and for the life of me can't figure out what king of sundew I have....I think its a capensis but I'm not for sure because it seems to have more of a stem than it should.....

DM,

You have it right: only Species Novae (literally "New Species") published in a protolouge (literally "First Word") may employ Latinizations.

LOs Angels Traphole:

Thanks for allowing me to yet again get up on my soapbox and do a little teaching! Re-reading my post I see that it appears to address you directly, and that isn't what I wanted! To tell you the truth, I usually call the plant D. capensis alba too, as does much of the world. In private communications I don't always follow the rules, but I always do when making public posts or when sending material out. You're a good man not to take offense, and I appreciate it.

Slyfi:

D. capensis is a stem forming species: the older it gets, the longer the stem. In habitat they can get to be waist high, with dead leaves cloaking the stem. Juvenille plants appear shorter, but in time they will elongate. How long they get depends on the variety and how optimal the conditions are.

Waist high! I knew it was a weed, but three feet tall? I would love to see a picture of this, do you know of any?

SF

Nothing right to hand, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Back