What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.aliciae seedlings dying like flies

Cindy

Staff member
Finally after 2 months, my D.aliciae sprouted. But now they are dying after a couple of days.

They are together with rest of other seedlings (regia, spatulata, intermedia) in the same container of live Sphagnum moss but I rarely lose any of the others. All of the seedlings were transferred out from their peat/sand mix.

Can it be fungus or is it too close to lights?  The seedlings just turn brown at the growing tip. Then they kinda dry up and die.

is it a dry brown at the tips or a mushier, damp brown. 1st would probably mean its too hot near the growing tips, as it is easy to burn young seedlings cp's. If the tips are browning due to a dampish way, it may be fugus. If you can catch that earlier, dab the brown with some rubbing alcohol on a Q-Tip. I have saved many a drosera like that. Good luck-Zach

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>All of the seedlings were transferred out from their peat/sand mix.</span>
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Why? and Why all? Were they not growing well in the peat/sand?</span>

Any pictures of the seedlings to see what the problem might be?

ceph88:
It's dry brown at the tips. I'm keeping them further away from the light.

Pingman:
Oh dear! It must have seemed like I tortured these poor seedlings...It's like this, the peat they germinated in is overgrown with algae. Bad start 'cos I didn't wash the peat thoroughly. I've done the same thing to spatulata and intermedia and I've lost only one seedling so I thought I could do the same for aliciae too!

guqin:
Hehe...you are testing me right? The seedlings are really scrawny and tiny!! Spatulata and intermedia ones are thicker...
wink.gif

Back