What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying something new

I put some of my binata outside to see if it will go dormant
since it started in a terrarium should i slowly introduce it to outside conditions through the great indoors
what should i do if it starts to wilt
i put it in a tray of water is that good
any tips and tricks
i need help

I think you will be shocked by the nice color these plant can turn!  My plants are getting 6-7 hours direct sunlight, turning bright red and producing tons of dew.  Maybe mine will go dormant as well?   I moved them straight out from terrarium conditions to the sun, they halted growth for maybe a week, and then started growing at double the rate!

SF

ya i noticed the dew production real nice

I was also very impressed with the difference that great grow lamp in the sky made in my binata and dichotoma. In the terrarium the plant was a simple green with dew that seemed very dependant on humidity (I suspect this is why so many people are so worried about humidity for these plants) Since I moved them outside they have turned a beautiful red color and have more dew than they ever had inside.

Steve

I placed my D. binata outside earlier this summer.  I didn't have enough room for it inside, especially with the leaves being etoliated even though it was growing in my south bay window.  It grew a little better outside on the porch rail, but the wind tended to tangle the leaves and crimp the stems.  The leaves did have ample dew forming on them and developed a nice red color.  At the moment it's doing time in the fridge and is due out in the first week of January.  I'm going to make it do extra time though to about February, if I can, so that I can put it outside in the warmer weather we usually get.

smile.gif

BCK

i used to keep my d. binata in my small greenhouse which was shady and it died but until i recieved another i plant put it outside in the sun and the plant just looks great , it has tons of dews , leaves and red coloring .

Back