What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. villosa very sick

Hi
My D. villosa that I got earlier this year looks rather sick Its stopped growing and the heart of the plant is brown!
Its kept in my warm house with my slackii in a water tray. The night time temp is held at 50f.
There is a very small offshoot growing alongside. Should I try repotting that or leave it where it is? What is the best compost mix?
I see that Peter D'Amato in his book Savage Garden saids that he is unable to over winter this species. Is it really that tricky?

I don't want to lose my first attempt at growing this lovely looking sundew- help! Any hints gratefully received
smile.gif

cheers

bill

If the heart of the plant is brown, there is likely little you can do to save it. You might try taking some leaf cuttings, but I have never done this and so can't say how much success you will have. Perhaps others who have some experience with this can answer. I would probably remove the offset: if the parent plant dies, there is no benefit from leaving it attached.

From my experience, D. villosa appreciates temps in the daytime range of 60-80F, provided the night time temperature drops about 5 to 10 degrees, and a relative humidity of at least 40% and above.

The plant may return from the roots, but I have too little experience to say for sure. I suggest you do not throw away the pot: D. montana var. tomentosa which is sympatric with this species is known to return in this manner, so it is worth keeping it in cultivation, but in less wet conditions.

How were you growing your plant? If I know the conditions of your cultivation, I may be able to offer some suggestions, but these will be based on short term experience with this species. I have only cultivated it for the last year, although with good success.

Hi Tamlin
I only got this plant in September. It looked great but did not produce any new growth. But with the colder weather the next generation of growth was tipped in brown, and now the heart of the plant is also brown. I have kept the plant in about an inch of water in a water tray. The temp & humidity is about the range you mentioned. It looks as if its in a quite peaty compost. Its in full sun (such as there is on a cold wintery English day!).
When you try a new species you only have one chance to get it right!

cheers

bill

Back