What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Can a D. capensis do well on a windowsill? If so what are optimum conditions for them? I've heard they become weeds and this is exactly what I want as I am wanting to be able to experiment with them. Thanks.

Yes they can be grown on a windowsill. I have found they like bright indirect light best. When I placed them in full sun the dew dried out. You may be able do give them more direct sun though, as I suspect your humidity is higher than mine (20% to 35% normally around here).

smile.gif

BCK

Mine grow well on the windowsill with a few hours of direct sun. The humidity is around 50%.

My windowsill is southeast facing. It's humidity is around 70-80%.

My two capensis are doing great in a windowsill that gets 3-5 hours of direct sun. They have flowered twice in the last 4 months. It is true that that some of the dew glands dry out in warmer weather but in my experience the plants start to produce dew very quickly after the heat of the sun subsides. I think the more sun capesis get the better the plant looks, my plants have very red, pronounced glands.

Yes they should do very well! Just make sure you aclimate them slowly.

tounge.gif
Well, I!!! as Captain DROSERA, know A LOT about sundews. I think it will do well in the windowsill. I have some capensis and they're all happy outside, in a terrarium, and one on a shelf!
smile.gif

Remember: EVERYONE HAS FEELINGS... ONLY KIND WORDS.
-Captian Drosera
P.S. You will NEVER guess my secret identity!!
blues.gif

Back