What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera silvicola

G'Day everyone,

My Drosera silvicola pygmy Drosera decided to flower for me today so I thought I'd post a few photos. I believe that D. silvicola has been lumped with Drosera barbigera as D. barbigera ssp. silvicola but for the moment I still refer to mine as just D. silvicola.

First a single flower-

Drosera%20silvicola%20211103.JPG

Then a double header-

Drosera%20silvicola2%20211103.JPG

And finally a shot of the whole plant in flower-

Drosera%20silvicola3%20211103.JPG

This is one of the more difficult pygmy Drosera to keep alive so I'm glad I've managed to get flowers from it this year. I love the effect of the red spot in the middle of the deep pink flowers.

Regards,

Sean.

Once again you have given us an amazing image.

what I would like to know is....

How many of those do you have?

Where did you get them?

Why are they more difficult to keep alive?

Thanx.

What a unique flower!  My plants didn't flower this season, but I am very proud of them.  I got 3 gemmae last year, and have three plants!  It is a little sensitive, but it seems to like me, unlike D. pyncoblasta that I continue to be unable to maintain. For some reason, I always thought the flowers would be orange: maybe it is the flame like colors of the plant that suggests this.

Thanks again for the beautiful photo's!

L.A Traphole,

At the moment I have a pot with 7 mature plants. I received them as gemmae in June this year. The great thing about pygmies is that you can start with a gemmae and have a mature plant with flowers in the same Spring.

I got them from a friend who grows many types of pygmy Drosera. I suppose you could say he specializes in them. The interesting thing though is that all of his plants of this species have recently died. He has asked if I can give him back some gemmae next season. This is a great example of why you should not keep all your good plants to yourself. If my friend hadn't passed some of these plants around he wouldn't be able to get any back.

They are difficult to keep alive because of the environment in which they grow in WA. They grow in rocky lateritic soil on the top of hills and ridges. The soil in these areas is extremely well drained and very dry in summer. These conditions must be considered when you grow this and other species which grow in similar habitats (eg- D. barbigera, miniata, pycnoblasta, sewelliae). I grow my plants in a sandy peat mix (2:1, sand: peat). They receive very high light levels. I do not grow them in a tray of water as I do with most of my other pygmy species. I grow them on my greenhouse bench and place them into a tray of water when the surface appears dry. I leave them there for a couple of hours until the soil appears damp again. I usually repeat this process every couple of days at the moment now that the temps are high. In winter I may only water the plants every week or two.

Regards,

Sean.

Back