What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pygmy Grow Chamber

Here you see some pics of my latest pygmy growing method.  This first picture you see the chamber that is covered in mylar to keep the light in as well as keep stray light out after dark.  Thanks to Tamlins article for this important note concerning pygmy photosensitivity.

pygmyterrarium.jpg

Here you see the PVC tubes occupied by gemmae in the structure (thanks to Nep. Gracilis, Tamlin, BCK for the gemmae) I call this my "Nebelwerfer pot".  OK, so I'm a WWII buff!  I may transfer the tubes outside the structure one day and line them up under a 40w light strip.  I think that would look cool!

tubes.jpg

Lastly, you can see (barely) the D. palacea ssp roseana sprouting and D. scorpioides in the very back.

growinggemmae.jpg

-Homer

Ah very nice! Should get some fantastic root development with that deep of soil! The potential for that much mroe root space is very high. Interested to see what (if any) different growing the plants do.

Looks great, remember to keep the air movement up as you dont want that greaded botritis to set in! It claimed a few of my pygmies this winter. Almost as many as I killed with the fungacide to try and cure it
sad.gif
live and learn I suppose...

George

Nice setup Homer!

Binataboy: to avoid such things, go for a recipe I posted on the VFT forums few months ago: It's an homemade fungicide, made of water, garlic, rubbing alcool and citrus juice. It is effective less longer than a commercial fungicide (you'll perhaps have to spray more often), but it has no ill effect on plants. I treat all my genis with it without any problem for now. If you can't find it back, go see it on my website:

Homemade fungicide

It is harmless for you if you grow indoor (a thing very important to me), for your health, and the one of your plants. But as you guessed, it smells a little... like pepperonni, when you spray it :p

George, actually this terrarium I made is based off of this design:

http://digilander.libero.it/westaustralia/terrarium/t-design.htm

So far, no mold or fungus attacks have occured.  I even have tuberous drosera seeds that are untreated laying on the soil surface in one of my pots.  They've been there 2 months, with no sign of mold.

-Homer

Wow....your grow chamber is nice.....mine all consist of 1 gallon plastic jugs cut in half and with 4 holes in the bottom so hot air flows out the top and cooler air enters through the bottom creating a cooling convection effect......  
wink.gif
.....Cp's on a limited budget!

Homer thats a cool desighn using computer fans. I'm lucky I just leave mine outside
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the recipe Tom, if ony I knew it a few month ago!!

George

Back