What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. capensis seedling care

I had several seedlings I transplanted before I left for the Bahamas.  Before I left, I misted all my seedlings and covered with a transparent cover to keep the moisture in.  7 days later, when I returned, they were fine.  I removed the cover and misted them again but did not cover.  The next morning, all the seedlings dried up and soil was also dry.  Luckily, I didn't toss my original sowing medium and more seedling emerged while I was away.

My question is... does anybody have suggestions as to the care of D. capensis seedlings?

I keep the pots standing in tray water, and maintain good humidity until the plants are established with a few good sized leaves, then gradually wean them to lower humidity. If your soil dried overnight, I think you did not have it wet enough.

Be prepared to wait a while for them to grow. It took mine 5 months to reach 1 inch across from seed. Once they attain the size necessary for feeding though, WHOOOSHH! They shoot up!

SF

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cchang @ Nov. 26 2003,12:04)]I removed the cover and misted them again but did not cover.  The next morning, all the seedlings dried up and soil was also dry.
Might try gradually removing the cover next time so they get a chance to get used to the lower humidity.

The new seedlings I have are in a takeout container with a transparent top.  I think I'll leave them in there until they grow larger and establish stronger roots before transplanting them.  Moisture in the container is relatively stable.
Thanks for the tips.  As for my larger D. capensis, it's about to flower  
biggrin.gif
I'm excited, this is the first CP flower.

I have a small D. capensis, a little bigger than a seedling maybe, its in the pot with my Nepenthes bicalcarata. so its getting those same conditions, long photoperiod, and hopefully tons of humidity.

and dont think I just have a tiny seedling as my sundew collection. (I dont have many, though)
biggrin.gif
despite being DROSERAdude.

Back