What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. burmannii green pics

Here are a couple of photos of my D. burmannii green.  It is my absolute favorite drosera because of the delicate color and large dew drops.
Does anyone have any idea what purpose the little pink tipped tendrils (correct nomenclature??) serve?  They produce no "dew" and seem to only be decoration.
Burmanii_green.thumb.jpg

Burmanii_green_closeup.thumb.jpg

Please on the link below for a much larger image.
]http://www.cpforums.org/gallery[/URL]
Click on "Sundews".  Go to page one and double clickon the pics.

Hi,

these tentacles are able to move very fast. It surely is one of the fastest movement in Drosera. They help to catch the prey. Many other sundews do have such tentacles as well. But Drosera burmanii is the only one known to me, that can move that fast.

Best wishes,
Christian

You have keen observation skills Lauderdale. These longer stalked *tentacles* are reputedly fast acting in nature, and press and hold prey, bringing it into greater contact with the shorter stalked glands. I have not made the observation myself, but this is well recorded.

Hmmm. Very kool. Kinda like Octopus tentacles? I do not have to feed my plants as I grow them outdoors (South Florida is the flying insect capital of the world) and that little guy gets plenty on its' own. However, I may have to feed him a fruit fly just to watch the action.
wow.gif

By the way Tamlin, I will send you pics of my "paperweight" this weekend.

I have noticed those tenticles also within my D. burmannii . I have done a test with the plant during some spare time I had. I took a toothpick and poked one leaf repeatly. Under a careful watch, you can see the dewless, longer tenticles move, probably trying to secure the "prey"

cool , i used to have D. burmannii, but i accidently knocked over the pot and killed everything
sad.gif

Lauderdale said-

[b said:
Quote[/b] ](South Florida is the flying insect capital of the world)

I reckon my area in south eastern Australia would give South Florida a run for it's money! I'd hate to think of anywhere being worse than what it can be like down here in the middle of summer.

Regards,

Sean.

Lauderdale I look forward to the photos. Sigh. You're going to make me sweat and itch though!

Are these plants particularly demanding? If I come across seed(and get some more sphagnum to grow em on) then I may try some someday...

Okay Okay! I say that for almost every cool CP now!  
wink.gif

I had one volunteer in a pot of utrics. It grew very well in typical Drosera conditions.

Does this species self-seed?

Yes it does. It can in fact be reproduced by leaf cuttings, but this is NOT reccommended.

SF

Yes, I read about making it reproduce by leaf cuttings. SF, would you like to share with us your experience again or would that be too painful?
wink.gif

As to the question of self seeding, it does it with wild abandon! I never have to sow this species: it is a weed in my collection (along with D. spatulata, D, capensis, D. binata, and D. dielsiana). These are really neat plants. There are a lot of different forms too. Here is another which I have gotten into circulation with red tentacles:

Drosera_burmannii_red_tentacles_1.sized.jpg

This is one of my one and a half-month-old burmannii raised from seed; it is surely a great catcher.
P2160063.JPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Would you like to share with us your experience again or would that be too painful?

*Big sigh*

I think I could stand to tell of my horrors one more time...
wink.gif

I tried to transplant my colony of D. Burmannii into a larger container that was less crowded. Only one lived to tell the tale, BUT... as the others died, several produced multiple plantlets all along the small leaves. So, this plant stays on my growlist!

I did not do this on purpose, it was sheer luck I guess!
smile.gif

SF

Tamlin,

The plant that you sent me never exhibit the fast moving characteristic, but I saw the fast movement for the first time at Ivan's. It was quite a sight.

Also, Ivan said that this species seems to do better in a sandy mix instead of in a more peaty mix.

Since I posted this topic my Burmanii has produced a flower stalk about 1.5" high. I will be putting the seeds on the trading post when they ripen.
I have two reds and a red x green (at least that is the way the seller describes them) coming this week. I will be interested in seeing them alongside my "green".
Mine is growing quite well in 50/50 peat and perlite but I have a suspicion it would do just as well in peat/silica sand. However, my Pappy once told me...if it ain't broken...don't try and fix it.
smile.gif

Snowy why is that a so called "horror" and why don`t you recomend growing them from leaf cuttings???

Back