What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about my capenis

well not sure what exact type it is - long skinny leaves with red dew. anyhow - lately the new leaves coming out in the rolled up style they are green but kinda look unhappy and the dew is kinda not even there. almost like this plant is slowing down with the less daylight it gets. i haven't been letting it sit in water all the time lately to see if maybe it needs to be alittle dryer. it has been growing great for months. my other plain green ones are growing fine. why is it doing this?

Hi Jeff,

It sounds like you grow your Droseras on a windowsill? I grow mine under fluorecent lights (really close), in the open (vs. terrarium), and instead of using the tray watering method, I sparingly water the plant twice a day. Mine seems to like this routine.

If it's a capensis, it's either a 'Typical' or 'Narrow'. The 'Narrow' variety tends to have a neater appearance than the 'Typical'. Sorry, can't post any pics... maybe someone would be kind enough to show examples?

Here's a pic of my D. capensis (typical) when it was younger. For more dew, you might try increasing the humidity a bit. A plastic cup is good for smaller plants, or a cut plastic jug or barrel for the larger ones. If your plant is flowering, sometimes it will lose a bit of its dew.

capensis.jpg

alright thanks guys- i just talked to ozzy/ mark and he said sometimes they act like mine is then they are fine after alittle while.

Back