What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sigh.....

Okay, the D. adelae which I posted a pic of was doing really well just 24 hours ago.....large dew drops just like you peoples photos. It also was getting a bit large for the inverted PB and J jar it was under. So Im thinking...why not move it to this nice roomy critter keeper, more air circulation then a couple air holes can provide.

The next morning the thing looks just like the pics on Gublers website(lol) only little hairs!

So I put the jar back over it(the leaves brushed agsint the sides while I put it on, but that didn't matter as their was no dew!), and this afternoon, little tiny dewdrops(just like how my plant was about 4 days after getting it). Will the leaves recover, or will the plant have to grow new ones?

It feels like starting all over....

Eh, don't worry about it. Plants go through a little shock when you change the conditions. Did you change the room or spot it was in? In any case, those things grow like crazy once they get started.

Capslock

"Soft" grown plants have to be introduced slowly to harsher conditions of lower humidity. This is especially the case with the Queensland Drosera species which are far more intolerant of lower humdiity. They can adjust, but of all the species which I grow they are the most sensitive. I am a big advocate of doing away with terrarium culture if at all possible, but with these plants I keep them under glass, especially during the months when we are heating with forced air.

Its actually been under the Ac/heater for a while(but with the cover). I didn't take the heater into consideration when I did that, though it probably just sped up the process.

The way Im interpreting your post, D. adelae does not like being grown outside of a terrarium.

Actually, this species also prefers cool conditions in addition to high humidity, so a heater is not advised. Different growers grow this in different ways. If you want to grow it outside the terrarium, you should have a fairly high relative humidity in the room where you are growing it, or outside. Harder grown plants are more colorful overall. Softer grown plants remain green and very dewy, with red glands. It all depends on what you find attractive. What you can't do is take it from high humidity and place it into low humidity without shocking the plant, unless you move in slow steps. A good method is to use a plastic bag to accomodate the pot. Then, poke some holes in it, and keep this up over a couple of weeks, and this way the plant will acclimate without shock.

Back