What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Searching for the right sundews

I am looking for at least five or more Sundews that are colorful and in the spoon shape. I would like to find some that I can grow easily with my bog garden of Venus Fly traps. Something in yellows, reds, purples, greens or any other neat looking colors. I saw several at Cooks I liked, but they do not provide growing requirements. Can anyone help?

What are you growing now? A couple of my favorites are D. venusta and D. falconeri

Steve

If you want them for your bog garden, I will assume you need something cold hardy, but the question now is: how cold in winter?

If it freezes solid, you are limited to the temperate species.

I don't have any Drosera yet. I'm new to Drosera, and I'll being staying away from the Tropical Drosera. I live in Nebraska, but I will be bringing my plants inside for the winter. Summer temps are 75-98. Humidity levels can be so so. 45-35 in my garage in the winter and 60-70 in my house in the winter. My VFTs are doing great, but I need a Drosera that can survive in my VFT conditions. My bog garden will be in two side by side flower box containers. I just want something easy growing and colorful to accent my VFTs. I like the spoon shapped leaves on the Drosera. I saw a few at Cook's I liked. Can anyone tell me anything about the following: I really like the Rotundifolia, and the Lake Badgercup. Some others I liked were Pulchella x Ericksoreae, Senopetala, Pygmaea Australia and the Spatulata. I want something in the 2-4inch diameter plants in nice reds,yellows, or greens. Anything that comes right to your mind?

Well D. venusta, D. spatulata and D. rotundifolia should all do well. D capensis will also enjoy VFT conditions although it is not rosetted or spoon shaped it is an easy plant to grow. As for the others you have listed, I'm afraid I cant help you as I have no experience with those species. I dont know if you are willing to go away from the rosetted species, but another very attractive plant that will thrive in bog conditions is D. filliformis. The long thread shaped leaves unroll in a beautiful fiddlehead shape covered in dew and stand erect providing some height to your bog. I think they are an excellent addition to any bog garden.

Good luck
Steve

Back