What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera prolifera

My D. prolifera seem to enjoy sphagnum as a potting medium, and consistent high humidity. How are you growing yours?

Drosera_prolifera_leaf_detail_040403.sized.jpg

My profileera grows in the same large pot as schizandra, in a mix of Live Sphagnum and a perlite bottom for drainage. They both seem to be doing great with 85%humidity and a full flush of water every week. They are just about 4 inches away from the growlights, so the plants are very nice, dewey, and green. Sorry, not pic right now (it can't compares to yours, Tamlin)
wink.gif

Let's see, mine grow in 50/50 silica sand and peat.  I use the tray method, just 1-2" max water level.  High light levels, 6" away from the bulbs.  Moderate humidity, 50-80%... at this time.  Here's a pic I took today of my prolifera's.  
smile.gif

prolifera.jpg

-Homer

Thanks Tamlin.  Now, I might be waaaay out in left field on this, but does your prolifera clone/variety/whatever that you have die after it produces plantlets??  I thought I read something on that awhile back, and I can't seem to find it now.  I apologize if I'm wrong.  

I'm just curious as to how many clones there are out there of this plant (if it's possible to know).  By the way, I got my plants from Andrew Marshall of Cascade Carnivores about 1 year ago.  

thanks,

Homer

Yes, you are totally out of line! Good thing you apologized!

My plants are set back from flowering, but they don't die off. At least, they aren't dead yet, hee hee.

Hello,
Nice plants Homer and William! Homer just gave me a D. prolifera about a week ago and a semi-meeting at a local greenhouse. I set it in my lowland tank about 5 inches from the bulbs. Its 80-85 degrees during the day, and 70-75 at night, and maintains 80% humidity at day, and 85% at night. Theres about 1 inch of standing water in the tray. The soil is a 50/50 sand peat, with live sphagnum moss mixed in, but acts as a decrotive on the top layer. Its already made a new leaf, and dew has recovered on the leaves. Thanks alot for such a great plant Homer. It seems to be doing well. Along with those seeds, your going to get something really nice!!
Kevin

The odd thing about D. prolifera, D. schizandra and D. adelae, is if you have ever seen pics of them in the wild, they look horribly anemic and you can't see the dew that well. I guess it's natural for shade loving plants, but most cultivated specimens look more pleasing than the naturalize ones, lol.

Joe

Joe,

Especially for the tuberous species! I wonder sometimes how they can even trap prey, they look so dry sometimes. I think it is a seasonal thing too. As the cooler months turn hot, they likely just shut down the dew to conserve moisture. These plants have adapted to a really tough climate.

Back