What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera burmannii

Like to share with all my first Drosera flower.

DSCN0513.JPG

That's a great flower and an outstanding photo!

Capslock
wow.gif

Great photo! D. burmannii is one of my favorites.
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing your pic.
smile.gif

It's a very rare event to find an open D. burmannii flower. Nice work there!

The flower is actually going to close. This morning was cloudy and that is probably why I saw the flower still unclosed when I arrived at work.

Great photo Gugin.
My Burmanii green is starting to flower also.  This guy is my favorite.  It has a great attitude....a happy little clam...loves the cool weather, eats like crazy, puts out one new leaf every four or five days and is just happy to be alive.
biggrin.gif

Starting to bud
Burmanii_green_buds.sized.jpg

Partially open flower.  
Burmanii_green_partial_flower.sized.jpg

Up close and personal.
Burmanii_green_very_close_up.sized.jpg

Did yours bloom during the night or the day? I hope to get a photo when it is in full bloom like yours.

Fat chance! You'd have aa better chance of finding a lump of gold just lying there on the ground.
laugh.gif

How long does it take from seed to reach flowering size?  I've been trying to find this information out for a while.  Also, how big does the plant itself get?  I've heard only up to a quarter, but some say they have half dollar size plants too.  

SF

Edit: I want to get a picture of my D. intermedia 'Cuba' flowering so bad!  I've got three or four stalks going now and I still can't catch them open.  I'm starting to wonder if they EVER open at all!

Waking up real early helps.
smile.gif

I am in my office before 8 am.
I had the plants for only two months. A friend passed it to me and I have no idea how old it is before arriving on my hands

From what I've seen the flowers either open completely but have small/shriveled petals (as with guqin's), or don't open completely but have seemingly healthy petals, as with Lauderdale's plant.

But having them open at all is quite a feat. Mine never did.

burmanii.sized.jpg

D. paradoxa also was shy in flowering.... I never saw the flower more than 3/4 open, and if I moved the plant away from the light at all (the flower was up against a flourescent bulb) its began closing within half a minute.

paradoxaflower.jpg

Drosera flowers of all sorts tend to be more phototropic than are flowers of other varieties. My guess is that this is due to their small size (rendering closing easier).

Congrats again, guqin!

-noah elhardt

Lauderdale, you mentioned that your plant is D. burmannii "green'. However, I noticed some hint of pink on the flowers and on the long tentacles of the leaf. My plants have no pink pigmentation and is more like Noah's plant. Is this the result of insufficient sunlight for my plants or genetics?
smile.gif

Gugin,
Yes, my plants buds do have a distinct pink tone to them, and the very tips of the tenacles, but the flower petals are white. The leaves are the same delicate green as Noah's and show no pink what so ever. This particular plant simply "appeared" from what I thought was a little piece of hard dirt that came with a D.intermedia, so I am not positive that is a "green".  Perhaps Tamlin can answer that question.  I recently received ten green x red (as they were described by the seller) and two red seedlings.  It will be interesting to compare them as they mature.
My plant is grown in full South Florida sun at this time of year and seems to love the chilly weather.  It is a bit larger than a quarter and since it is only about four months old, I assume (you all know the definition of "assume") that it will get larger.
Hey Tamlin, as you know, I did find some gold lying on the ground...      
laugh.gif
...maybe I will get lucky.
smile.gif

Lauderdale, yeah, I know that I was just making trouble <snicker>
laugh.gif

As to identifying the types, hmmmm, maybe. There are a lot of variables, like how much light did they grow in, that has to be taken into account.

A word about the red form. There is a form called Pilliga Red which was found by Robert Gibson in Australia, and I have seen other specimens which are similar (no collection data, sorry), and bear pink flowers. I don't know how the Pillga Red appeared in habitat, but the other forms for me were red only in their tentacles. There are red forms of D. capensis that are really red: no green to the leaves at all. No form of D. burmannii that I have seen has this sort of characteristic.

Back