What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing season?

Hi!
This is a closeup of my sundew. Over the last month or two, it's been growing tall, and hasn't had any dew. You can see in the background of the photo, there's another upward growth, but thinner. The new leaves at the top of the stalks don't have any hairs on them like the rest.

I'm not worried about it, because it's growing. I'd just like to know what it's doing!

Growing-sundew.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Looks like it is starving for light, and etiolating (stretching out). Lack of light produces weak plants.

OK, thanks. I have moved it to a north facing window recently to ensure it gets as much light as possible. It's now 3pm, and light is fading fast. Maybe it could move into the viv. with the corn snake?

Thanks for the answer.

Stupid winter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Stupid winter

Agreed. Good thing the sun will start coming back soon. The Winter Solstice is what, Dec. 22?

SF

Depending on your cloud over in winter, the North facing window may not be sufficient. Drosera are light hungry plants. If you can provide flourescent light in addition to the use of the window, it would serve better.

Yes, the Sun Return is Dec. 22nd this year, but its a long haul yet to the bright sunny days of spring and summer that Drosera love.

Good luck with your plant!

I've found somewhere for the poor thing that will provide more light.

Winter is so full of problems: I've just had to rescue my VFT from a mouldy death. Makes you wonder how they survive in the wild.
wow.gif

Well plants in the wild are much more vigorous and hardy. Thats why a wild vft can eat a salamander! Well a captive vft can`t even eat a worm without moulding!
biggrin.gif

Back