What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green juvenile leaves

hey i grow my sundews in a terrarium , 2ftx1ft (is that 10 gallons?), 72W worth of PL lights, very very humid, temperatures are around 28 degrees celcius (i use a mister and mist floats around where the plants are)

some of my new sundews are producing green young looking leaves. They are also producing other small plants grown from the roots. Are they adapting? the plants are about 8 inches from the lights. Is this too little?
thanks

If you want red plants, no more then 5 inches from the light, but if they are cloneing themselves then they can't be that unhappy ;)

In my opinion your conditions are over humid. Most Drosera do not need this much humidity, and none require misting. The plants should be closer to the lights for good color, and remember to change the tubes every 7-8 months for best results.

I agree with Tamlin. Given our humidity in Singapore, there's actually no need for a mister. In fact, I noticed that the mist given off can be quite warm...you wouldn't want to steam your sundews, right?
wink.gif

ebeyonder, j/k and guqin all grow their sundews in the open...i.e. not in a terrarium. I grow them in my 2-ft terrarium too but I make sure it's windy in my study room...and that they are just 3-5 inches away from my lights.

Remove the mister and move the plants closer by a inch. Observe them and then move them closer by another inch when they improve.

Back