What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera oblanceolata

200312262016389204.jpg

seldom to see this species in the forum
biggrin.gif

that is one in my growlist
laugh.gif

it is native to Hong kong,the flower should be white....enjoys
tounge.gif

This species can get very colorful when grown under a lot of light.  The flowers on my plants (from the populations on Lantau Island, Sunset Peak, Hong Kong) are actually a very pale pink.

Have you seen this plant there?  My plants have a dormancy, but I am not sure when the plants go dormant in habitat.  Can you tell me anything about the growth cycle of this species?  What are the lowest and highest temps. where it grows?  When does it begin to go dormant there?

Drosera_oblanceolata_122403_1.sized.jpg

Drosera_oblonlanceolata_flower_lateral1.sized.jpg

This species is very closely related to Drosera spatulata.  A friend created this hybrid between the white flowered New Zealand form of D. spatulata and D. oblanceolata:

!
Drosera_oblanceolata_x_D_spatulata_NZ_Ivans_hybrid_080403_1.sized.jpg

Here is a hybrid between D. capillaris (long arm Southern U.S. Form and D. oblanceolata that I made:

Drosera_oblanceolata_x_D_capillaris3.sized.jpg

These are very beautiful plants, but a little tempermental during dormancy when they want to be kept a little less wet, and cool. The hybrids do not have a dormancy.  I love the hairy petioles of this species!  I have been working on crossing this with Drosera neocaldonica, but so far have had no success although it should be possible.  It probably would produce a beautiful plant that is nearly impossible to grow, lol.

Thanks for sharing your photos with us Rex

hi,Tamlin
your D. oblanceolata are very very beautiful !!!more beautiful than in the wild!
i have visited Sunset Peak many many time, there are alot of pale pink flowered, the pure white flowered are rare to be found!but i know where they are!
can you tell me how to get your plants!
rock.gif
visited to Hong Kong?
do you know http://www.byblis.com/ belongs to whom?
rock.gif

(it is down now, after i posted some hong kong cp)
sad.gif

Rex,

If you can increase your light levels, you should get the same results as I have with your plants. Try putting the plant closer to the lights: within a few inches, and the color will increase.

I have a D. oblanceolata which looks more like Tamlin's 4th pic (probably because it came from Tamlin.
biggrin.gif
)

It is a very beautiful plant and I like it a lot. One of my favorites. I have too many favorites...its so hard to pick out a single favorite when they are all so beautiful.

I also have too many favorites,:D  
especially sundew......so my name is sundewREX  
tounge.gif

Back