What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. filiformis

I have to D. filiformis <span style='color:red'>{Edit: genus names are always written with a capital letter, even when abbreviated}</span> and I know that they are dormant, but I am wondering if they completely die off, like zero growth on them?  I am n. va and I am concerned a bit about all of my cps (this is my first winter with them) not coming back.  I have pine needles and oak leaves as mulch.  Just some reassurance would be great, if you were to look at the pots, you would think there is nothing growing there...

All the leaves on mine died back leaving only a bit of the bud poking up out of the soil. I can see new leaves, tightly curled in places on the bud, waiting for warm weather so they can start growing again.

smile.gif

BCK

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>You say you are, "n. va". What might that mean? Yes, all of the more common Drosera filiformis form, "hybernacula". Drosera filiformis hybernacula look like a wad of old chewing gum that has been left outside in the dirt. They are normally alive, though not growing vigorously, just "sleeping" until the photoperiod and temperatures change in the spring, when they once again begin vigorous active growth. It has been said that the red form from Washington County Florida does not normally go dormant.</span>

If the bud remains firm, you are doing ok. Don't keep them too wet: just moist works best as there is no uptake from the roots during dormancy. You just need to prevent the bud from drying out.

The ones native to my state, MI, turn into a little floating lump and get frozen into a block of ice every year o_O if they can take that, I think they can take just about anything.

Back