What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. spatulata

My D. spatulata <span style='color:red'>{Edited: genus names always begin with a capital letter, even when abbreviated}</span> that i thought was a D. capillaris is growing great . but as the weather got colder and the light levels got lower the plant seems to be forming a hibernacula . all the plants in the pot are actually . i have 2 D. spatulata <span style='color:red'>{Edited: they also do not need an "s" to indicate they are plural, they are always either. You can use D. spatulata to indicate either a single plant or a group of plants}</span> , the other formed what seemed to be one too , but when i moved it to my terrarium it resumed growth at looks normal . i know for sure that D. spatulata  grows in very cold places in the wild but i always though they were tropical . do i have some temperate form of D. spatulata , or do i have another plant that actually does go dormant . i've seen many pictures of D. spatulata , i think i may be growing the hong kong form , and i believe it gets quite cold there right , so maybe this form does go dormant . i'll try to take a pic tommorow .

heres the pic :
d_spatulata_hibernaculums.sized.jpg
as you can see in the middle of each rossete there is a clump of leaves that look like it has made a hibernacula , and thank you pinguiculaman for editing my post for proper terms , i never actually knew that .

o_O are those leaves wider then they are long?  It looks like that in the photo and if it is true, congrats you have D. rotundifolia
smile.gif

My D. rotundifolia are very little right now, but that is basically the kind of winter growth I've seen in the wild ones

Goldtrap,

Yes, this is what my plants have done in the past as well, and it is a variable characteristic of the Kansai form of Drosera spatulata. I keep mine cooler and less moist during their "dormancy", it's a sensitive time for this species and I usually lose some. Good luck with your plants, and kudos for being easy about the nomenclature correction!

20041312344722193.jpg

20041312343633338.jpg

can these photo help you?
biggrin.gif

Photos are taken in Hong Kong !
biggrin.gif

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>They sure help me. Gorgeous plants, excellent photos. Goldtrap and Sundewrex  
biggrin.gif
</span>

Back