What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. rotundifolia

Okay, I probubly killed that spelling, but I have some plants from seed that someone sent me last year that are from Wails... Whales? Whails? Ahhh, stupid brain! I hope you can tell what I am trying to say. Anyhow, does anyone know how large the D. rotundifolia from that region get? I've been stairing at mine asking them to grow bigger and it just occurd to me that not all D. rotundifolia are going to be 4 inches accross or more like the ones in MI bogs. What size should I be aiming for here?... what kind of dormancey do the ones in this region have? Thanks
smile.gif

Errrr. I think you mean "Wales" - as in the country that forms the part of the UK, to the west of central England:

Click here, and it's the shaded bit

I've seen plenty of D rotundifolia in the mountains of Snowdonia in north Wales, where they grow to about 1 1/2 inches diameter (occasionally more - but over 2 inches would be extremely unlikely). We have reasonably long winters in the UK, and the mountains in Wales get some cold weather (maybe minimum -5 to -10C?), and the plant would be dormant from October/November until around April at a guess.

Best wishes.

Rob.

http://www.rob-rah.com
udder7@hotmail.com

Hey,
I have some seeds of D. rotundifolia right now from Wales. Same as Rob-Rah, I was told they satay small.
Kevin

K, I suspected as much since they have fully mature leaves and are still so small and the growth has slowed.
biggrin.gif
they can live in one of my old vft's 2 inch pots... the winter sounds a lot like MI, I wonder why ours are so much bigger... o_O

Okay, one more quick question. How long does it take these guys to reach full size? Thanks

Back