What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D.falconerii

Colieo

Staff member
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to say that I just peeked at my D.falconerii, and it is getting ready to flower
smile.gif
I wondered why it was slowing in growth, fearing it had started into dormancy, but it must have just been getting ready for the bud. I do not plan on letting it flower, since I won't get seed and I am sure it is probably not much to look at. I just have one question, do D.falconerii usually flower during this time?

Cole

Mine flower in the summer, but other Pets are flowering now. This is one species that seems to insist on dormancy. Mine died back after flowering. I kept it less wet and under the same growing conditions otherwise. The good news is this one seems willing to return from the dormant state in a reasonable amount of time vs some of the other species with dendritic hairs which seem far less willing to get growing again.

Tamlin,

Don't these plants like it warm in growth, but hot in dormancy(at least in Nature)?

Regards,

Joe

Yes,I think you are right griffin.

Where the petiolaris complex species grow there is only one temperature type all year- hot!. The temps are roughly the same all year. The climate is seasonal with a wet season and a dry season. The temps remain similar but obviously it is much more humid in the wet season. The wet monsoonal period occurs during our Summer down here- from about Nov-March, the rest of the year is dry and sunny.

Sean.

The petiolaris are fascinating plants. Actually, they begin their growth well in advance of the rains of the Australian wet season. The dendritic hairs on the plant allow them to capitalize on the frequent morning mists by concentrating the mist into droplets that fall down to the center of the plants and thence to the roots. Considering that the ground is like fired clay during the hot season, the plants with hairier leaves had a survival value to the species, and this trait was selected for by natural selection. What we end up with now are the "wollies".

Drosera_darwiniensis_approaching_anthesis_121803_7.sized.jpg

Drosera_ordensis_Mulligans_Lagoon_112103_2.sized.jpg

Man,cool pics! It looks like a carnivorous "lambs ear"!

Cool... let us not forget the sun and heat shealding effects of white hairs. My Ecology prof would have a fit if I left that out
smile.gif
(yes, MI also has giant pits of hot dry sand filled with white fuzzy plants)

Back