What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B. liniflora

Does B. liniflora really need a lot of light to do well?
I have one where the leaves keep partly dying, even though its about to flower.
Its around 68 at night, and 80 or less during the day. Not much light, probably about 5 in. -1 foot away from a compact flourescent. (depending on where I move it).

All plants, especially the dewey ones like Drosera and Byblis, do well with as much light as possible.

I grow mine at full sun all year (take into consideration that i live in the tropics - Colombia ). The plants grow, bloom set seed and then die, living only about 4-5 months.

Regards,

Sebastian

Another question, what temps do b. liniflora seeds need to germinate? Is 80 day, 65 -70 night ok?

I know they should germinate in heat and light, should it work under a flourescent desk lamp in a plastic bag for a 18 hour photoperiod?
thanks

bump

also, heres my current setup for the byblis.
I took it out of the lower light lowland terrarium
and put it on my desk sorta surrounded in a plastic bag but with a flourescent over it about 2 inches away. its not looking too well
most of the leaves, and there are not many, decided to partly die.
this is probably due to some shock of me sorta moving stuff around at the base of the plant. it tipped over before, but now it is standing up.
Will it make it and look better?
sad.gif
thanks
byblis are my favorite plants (and drosophyllum) besides n. bicalcarata and I onlly have one so I don't want this to die. and the seeds havent sprouted
thanks for your input

rock.gif
I'm sure SOMEONE grows b. liniflora here.

Hi droseradude,

If you live in inland Southern CA(as your profile states), then you can throw some seeds of this plant into a pot with wet peat:sand during the spring. The seeds should sprout in the summer, and the plants can be grown outdoors without anything special. I had no success with sowing B.liniflora seeds indoors, so I tossed the seeds into the pots of my sarracenia(which also grow outdoors year-round) and by summer, had at least 6 large plants.

sad.gif
I'm out of seeds. I put them in a pot already. Should I keep it under flourescents and stuff until spring, then put it outside?
thanks

These guys didn't germinate for me until the weather warmed up. I know of other growers who grow this under lights, so it can be done, but I do not have a lot of experience with this as my seeds did not germinate under lights.

Until spring, then, what should I do with the seeds?

I guess you can grow it under lights. Keep the seeds warm and wet and they should germinate.

I GOT 2 SPROUTS!
it was in the old pot, that I sorta didn't really think anything would work with
One of them might die, since I moved it away from some fungus around it
but that just shows they don't really need tons of light
it was just sitting in my terrarium with my bladderwort and some other plants.

I placed some seeds on to milled sphagnum less than a week ago. They have germinated already. They are in light, but it is not yet overly bright. The humidity is very high. The temp is 70 day, 60 night. I am going to move them to the florescents soon.

I guess time can vary, then. No sprouts in the pot I put seed in a few days ago, yet, although I made sure the temps were high by putting it in a plastic bag about 1-2 inches from a compact flourescent and even using my repti therm heater at night one day- I hope they didn't get damaged from the heat.

Back