What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand Drosera spatulata

I would be very interested in seeing any plants that growers might have of these plants. Here are a some examples from the Dawnstar Collection. Discussion and comments are most welcome. I am especially interested in seeing plants from known locations.

In my collection, these are some of the more difficult members of the Drosera spatulata types, preferring alpine conditions and a cold winter rest.

I have not yet found a copy of Bruce Salmon's Book The Carnivorous Plants of New Zealand , and if anyone knows a source here in the U.S. , please let me know!

Drosera spatulata Ahipara, New Zealand

Drosera_spatulata_Ahiapara_New_Zealand_1.sized.jpg

Drosera spatulata Ahipara, New Zealand Flower

Drosera_spatulata_Ahipara_NZ_flower_072303_3.sized.jpg

Drosera spatulata Mt. Ruapehu, New Zealand

Drosera_spatulata_Mt_Ruahepu_NZ1.sized.jpg

I am very interested in acquiring additional forms of New Zealand D. spatulata. Please PM me if you have any material for trade or sale.

I keep on saying my store bought spatulata looks just like the Ahipara picture in your website but I don't know enough about them to make a positive ID. To my untrained eye, I couldn't tell the difference between kansai & kanto. I can't imagine local nurseries and Home Depot, buying from a wholesaler with the "little Pot Of Horrors" label, would have anything out of the ordinary. What could they possibly have? I guess only time and flowers may tell.

I'm growing an alpine form of D. spatulata from Mount Ruapehu, NZ. I only sowed a small proportion of the seed I received this year, without stratification, and was rewarded with a single plant. I've sown the rest, with stratification, and hope for better germination in the Spring. You'll have to wait for dormancy to finish before I can post a photo though.

As for Bruce's book, ordering it directly from him is probably the easiest way to get a copy. He'll sign it for you too. His book is a real gem, it only covers the 12 species found in NZ, but the level of detail and quality of illustrations and photographs are superb, one of my favourite CP books. His web site has excellent information and photos of NZ CPs too;
New Zealand's Carnivorous Plants

Vic

Back