What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. slackii

Love the look of D. slackii and would like to add one to my collection. Anyone know of any sources of this plant? Haven't seen it available at any of the suppliers on the web, or at my local suppliers here in Seattle (Oudean's and Jerry/Indoor Sun Shoppe). Nor have I seen it for trade on the trading post. Any suggestions? Thanks!

It's quite rare and hard to come across I've foudn out, but I've aquired 3 plants of it from 1 larger plant, I'm looking into taking root cuttings as these have proven very effective and plan to have some up for grabs in the future, around autumn I'm guessing.

I love D. slackii. I hope I can get one soon.

California Carnivores sundew section has them. They're pricey but it's the only place I've seen carrying that sundew. I'm holding out for a cheaper CP place to offer them.

I'm very fond of D.slackii. I thought I lost mine last year. It just started to dry up and look very poor. I decided to cut the Slackii back to the roots and after a couple of months, I see 3 plantlets coming through:)

I have some seed germination, not many but it happened which is a first, and maybe by next season can help. My root cuttings did not strike, at least not yet.

What is the best way to propagate D. slackii? I've got a big, happy juicy one, and I'd love to make more. So far, the two leaf cuttings I tried didn't work. Well, one is sitting in a cup of water, as per Pinguiculaman's method, and it's almost completely turned brown now.

D.%20slackii.JPG

Capslock

I have been able to grow slackii by leaf cutting from plants grown by another grower. Take the cutting and place it on some wet long-fibered sphagnum and cover the base of the cutting with some sphagnum. Plantlets should develop in a couple of months. Keep the cuttings under high humidity and flourescent lights.
Sadly, my plantlets rotted after I moved them to pots, so I am looking for a replacement. The high prices for this plant here in the U.S. has put me off from purchasing one.

I am working on some at the moment. Give me time and I'll post here when available

I lost mine a long time ago.
Sad that floating a leaf on water did not work, as the person I got this one said that was fail-safe.

Regards,

Joe

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Capslock,

Nice plant and photo. What media are you using?</span>

Back