What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. closterostigma

Hi,

I'm getting my first pygmy sundew soon! Are these hard to grow?
Thanks

I would consider closterostigma to be one of the more difficult species that will often die back in the summer with the heat.

yeah, I read that pygmys can do that. If I keep the temps back will it still grow? In the Savage Garden it says that you can grow most of them through the summer.

I am not sure if that will work as I have never tried it. The photoperiod might also play a part in the summer dormancy of some of these species.

Has anyone grown this plant? any other tips?
Thanks for the advice CP2k.

I grow this species. It is a summer sensitive species, and for me always goes dormant in the summer. Very Dormant! Survival of dormancy involves encouraging the long roots to grow that will be needed to sustain this species through it's dry dormancy. Short pots limit these roots and I always lose my plants in typical 4 inch pots. This season I used a very deep terra cotta pot, and managed to bring a few rosettes through. Sort of. I am hoping they form gemmae. I'd like to try CpK2's method of using added perlite, for some reason I feel the peat/sand idea is wrong for this species, and that they need additional aeration. This is just feelings though, I haven't done any real testing of the idea, although CpK2 has had success with other sensitive species using it.

I always use perlite, sand, in fact I don't even have sand for cp's.
thanks

Well, I got the plant last friday, or 2 plants actually. They are growing.
smile.gif

kinda took a while, but thats ok I suppose.

Back