What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harvesting burmannii seeds

I am currently harvesting my burmannii seeds.
I am getting only three to four black things slightly larger than the period at the end of this sentence from each pod.
I am also getting fifty or sixty little black things about the size of a spec of dust.
Which ones are the seeds?
rock.gif

I guess I got a lot to learn.
smile.gif

The seeds are little round black things. If both are round, then both sizes are probably sets of seed, for me drosera seeds are usually larger on the pods lower on the stem. If it's sort of fluffy then it's likely the plant material inside the pod.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Caution: Drosera burmannii seed do not wait in the seed pods until they are harvested. If the seed has been ripe and the seed pod has been bumped, even slightly, many of the seed are already on their way, somewhere. This would explain a few seed remaining in some pods, and the well documented weediness of this species. The seed are like, very tiny ball bearings and they bounce away like miniature "super balls", if you remember what those were like.

The following image are Drosera burmannii seed magnified 200 times:
d_burmannii_2.jpg

The following image are Drosera burmannii seed magnified 60 times:
d_burmannii_5.jpg
</span>

I recently recieved some burmannii seeds so bring on the "weeds"
biggrin.gif

Mark Wilson

Back