What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. graniticola from seed...

The first Drosera that I ever sowed and grew from seed (albeit for a very short time), happened to be D. auriculata, these lived on for at least five months or so...then dissapeared one last time.

This time around I have a nice packet of D. graniticola. Is there anything I really need to keep in mind for success? Or treat it like everything else and just pray? ;)

Wow, you choose funny species to grow seed from. Since I have no idea what either is they must be at least semi-rare/hard to grow. I'm sure Tamlin will know how to germinate them though
smile.gif

Try baking them in hot dry conditions and then let them sit in slighly wet soil getting colder from day to day. Either you simulate that or you sow them in late summer.

Other possibility: use some GA3...

Jan

P.S. Where did you get them?

I treat all my tuberous seeds the same way: I make the corresponding mix (usually 1:1 peat:coarse sand, for this part the drainage isn't important), which I place slightly wet in a clear plastic pot (the grocery ones). I sow the seeds on the top, put a natural fungicide (can be garlic infusion or chamomille tea), than close the lid and forget it for a while. I manage to germinate few one as Drosera heterophylla, neessii ssp borealis, gigantea, menziesii ssp menziesii, etc. Tha advantage of this is that you don't water again after closing the lid, it can limit a lot algae/mosses grow if everything is clean. It keeps out pests too. The only problem I've saw is that repotting is particulary hard. The seedlings of some tuberous sundews hate to be disturbed, and I lost few ones by transfering them into regular pots. I don't use any GA3, and some seeds are still on my shelves for months... It depends if you have patience, and if you can find GA3 :p

In my experience most tuberous Drosera seedlings are very strong and there is no problem to repot them carefully. I germinated a lot of fresh seeds without GA3 this season. If they are fresh enough, thats not a big deal.

Back