What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera regia

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
For me Drosera regia 'Big Easy' has grown to be one of my very favorite CP. I love them all, and have a penchant for certain ones. And now that it is winter here in Tucson, Arizona there are very few flies that manage to enter the house, but they are usually caught by this "giant sundew", even though the flies must travel past all the other CP in my small grow-room to reach them, they usually do.

What a "wicked" plant:

D_regia_Big_Easy_AA12_sml.jpg

Last edited:
You just love torturing me with that don't you. :p

Very very nice shot. I really love the effect everythings adding to make it look like the shot almost twists.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>The original of this shot was 3MB. It sure would be great if the whole world was on broadband so I could have used the whole image.

I really would like to get some seed from my own plants, just to keep trying to bring one up the old fashioned way. It would be horrible if I have to let these go dormant before I can get them to bloom. But I understand that there are seasons where they do not even go dormant in the wild. Perhaps just a touch of the seasonal change can do it. I sure hope so.</span>

Drosera regia is a beautiful plant alright. And they can get huge. I had one that seemed to be happy where it was and graced me with 30" leves, 1" wide, with glue drops at least 1'4 " across. Even the large bluebottles and horseflies that landed on it were stuck fast. One whole summer it was huge, then died off so fast I couldn't believe it. I still don't know why it died, but am still reading about their requirements. Joe Mazrimas, a good friend and co-founder of the CPN and the ICPS, told me that sometimes they are real finicky and will do that without any apparent stress. He thinks some kind of stress must have been experienced for it to die that way, but even he--Joe, with vast experience, did not knowwhy. They can, however, stand cold temperatures down to 28 degrees F. without too much problem providing it is not for more than a few days. BIG plant.

By the way, that is 1/4 inch across, not 1' 4"!!!!!! (Gluedrops)

wink.gif
Cute Plant. I like it.
-The Cap
*Mark warned me for doing the secret identity so i wont.
blues.gif
better keep a LoW pRoFiLe.....
biggrin.gif

Good Gracious Gorgeous Giant! lol, 4x G lol. Thats a mighty fine looking Drosera regia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple more angles of that same plant:

D_regia_nice_plants_AB12.jpg

D_regia_BE_mother.jpg

Last edited:
Stunning plant arn't they! Mine is about the same size as yours but only half the leaves, but none the less it is one of my favorite plants. My aim (or rather dream) is to get leaves longer than 2'. I don't think this will happen soon as we only have another month of summer, and then I have to get the plant through winter
sad.gif
Fingers crossed...

George

George, there is always next year. If the plant is happy and prospering, look out!! If it gets as big as the one I had, your eyes will bug out of your head and you won't believe what they see. Good luck and good growing!!

Hello,

nice looking plant but the pot is really to small. You should double or triple pot size. This species with long thick roots need a lot of space for roots.

I have heard roumors of a giant plant that was grown by a person in the local CP club many years ago that was truly awesome. I never saw the plant but was supposed to have been about 2 foot tall! Hence my ambition, but only time will tell if I can grow a plant that big
biggrin.gif
and looking forward to the chalenge!

George

PinguiculaMan,

The D. regia that you have shown us here is your cultivar, right?  Regardless, nice pics!  Can't wait until summer so I can feed my regia those pesky house flies.

-Homer

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Homer,

Yes, it is one I am planning to register as Drosera regia 'Big Easy'. I still need to get a better standard photograph assembled and sent to Dr. Barry Rice. I am running trials to compare the traits of Drosera regia 'Big Easy' with other clones of Drosera regia. So far, they are promising, but will take a while yet to complete.</span>

Nice pics, VERY cool plant. Would love to add one to my collection. Anyone know of a good source? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi. Im glad to tell every one that this plant is really amazing....
My D.regia was preaty big till 3 months ago till it had a cat accident and fell down. I tried to recover it and put it in a plastic covering for extra humidity but it didnt helpand all the foliage died. but before about a month and a half it started to grow new leafs from another location and now there are allready 3 diffirent growing points. They are still small but i was really surprised it was able to keep it self alive for so long only by the energy in the roots. Now i hope this growing points get in time to be at least as large as the original crown.

YtK

I was reminded of this post when my Drosera regia caught a nice bug yesterday. *Here's a picture. *I was amazed at the degree of twisting the leaf did!!

regiawithprey.jpg

-Homer

Last edited by a moderator:
Back