What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. 'Marston Dragon'

I gave this plant a siesta during the winter for a few months, and now, two months out of its "nap" it is flowering. Now, I know that I cannot pollinate it, and it won't self. I am wondering if I should just "nip it in the bud" (pardon the pun). I cannot keep it in my one tank because the stalk is too tall. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Snip snip, that's what I do.  Silly plant thinks its gonna be allowed to flower, yeah right
wink.gif

STOP! Before you snip, take some photos.

is there something special about the flower? Bob, do you want to see it open, or just as it is now??

Bob wants it for his CP photo site archive.
smile.gif

will do! does bob want it in flower or not? The reason I ask is that it is in a smaller tank with an opening and it is not getting the amount of light I know that it likes.

The reason that I (and probably others) have an interest in photos of D. 'Marston Dragon' is that there are a number of plants being circulated with this name that are not this cultivar. Having some representative photos of the "true" plant would be helpful. Sometimes flowers are distinctive, but perhaps not in this case.

Bob, I can send you a couple pictures if you want. I am not adept enough to post them on flytrap, but I can send them to you. Let me know, pm, post or e mail me. I'll take them tonight, then I am going to snip the stalk.

just fyi, one of my root cuttings is flowering now as well, looks like I will try to get them to pollinate. Now, what would that be considered, the seeds that is??

medium-smiley-021.gif
You should be happy you got a flower, I WANT A FLOWER~!!!. My marston hasn't flowered.

this is my second or third marsten flower from the parent and the first from the off spring...

I just shipped Wesley my entire pot of Marston Dragons. I got them from Peter D'Amato, who got them from Adrian Slack in 1984. I myself have never been impressed with the Dragon personally, favoring the little known drosera binata dichotoma (small form) which is far from small. Very impressive plant when first opening for the spring, leaves opening into 27 to 31 "points", and looking like a living spider web, dewdrops glistening in the sun, and catching everything except the neighbors cat.

Back