What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. binata Flowering!

hey i have a flowering D. binata, is it self polinating? I know that it requires dormancy but do the seeds need satrisfaction ?If so how long should i keep the seeds in the fridge?
anyone has experience with D. binata seeds gemination please post
thanks!!
smile.gif

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Remember that many plants can be pollinated with pollen from many other plants, this does not mean they will ever set seed, or if they do set seed, that the seed will be viable.

Most often Drosera binata clones are self-incompatible. This means that even if you make vegetative propagations of the same plant they will still not produce seed unless pollinated with an entirely different clone of Drosera binata. But, as in most instances that deal with living things, there are rarely absolutes. I had heard many years ago that there were self-fertile clones of Drosera binata. I certainly believe it now . . . a clone I received recently has set seed by self-fertilization (I did not even need to manually pollinate the flowers) and they are fertile. I guess this too may soon find itself being a weed in our collections. Keep the weeds coming.
biggrin.gif

My experience with germinating Drosera binata seed is that no stratification is necessary, others may have different experiences, but that has been my experience.</span>

Hi,

I also have a self-fertile clone of Drosera binata. It produces a real huge amount of seeds without pollination. If diirectly sown, the seeds germinate nearly 100%. This is the onliest plant, i have that has ever set seeds.

My two other plants have never(!) set seds, no matter if manual pollinated or not. They are definitely two different clones. I remember having read, that there are clones of D. binata, that are triploid (3n) and so can't produce any seeds.

Christian

I have several self fertile binatas, but have several that are not. All the self fertile forms germinate like grass for me. Actualy I have never had trouble germinating any binata seed so would not bother stratifying them, but I have never had any NZ forms so am only talking of Australian forms.

I have beeen trying to cross polinate a var. dichotoma "giant" with no success, I have tried crossing it with a number of clones but am begining to feel it is a sterile plant. I have successfully cross pollinated a number of non-self fertile plants, which is very simple.
smile.gif

George

Are the seedlings of these self- fertile binata turning into self-fertile plants, or is this a rare occurance within a population affecting only certain plants?

Regards,

joe

Thats a very good question Joe, some of the plants do breed to be self fertile but I have not had one (the multifida) long enough to see. I have some seedlings at the moment and will see what happens but they will not flower for at least another year.

Self fertility probably occurs as a freak but in cultivationit has a masive advantage over a non-self fertile plant. It will spread quickly to become the dominant plant in cultivation so might be a very rare occurance, just very nioticeable.

George

thanks guys,
im going try to cross my D.binata with a D intermediate 'cuba' (if i can catch the d inetrmediate flowering, the D binata flower is opened all the time becuz it has about 25 flower buds i think.).  D. intermediate is self pollinating but D. binata is not...also the D binata flower is twice as big as the d. inetrmediate flower... will it work?
also i have no experience in this
smile.gif
.  What i plan to do is to rub the 2 flowers with each other

any sundew experts?

thanks tamlin, i read it and ill try it
smile.gif

Back