What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And then there is Drosera hamiltonii

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I encourage anyone growing this plant to snip a root or two and make yourself some extra plants.

d_hamiltonii_root_cuttings_A1.jpg

Now if I can only figure out how to get them to grow as well as I can propagate them.</span>

Hi Joseph,

D. hamiltonii is one of my favorite drosera. You can see why:

hamiltonii4_2.jpg

They are doing so well where they are that I dare'n't move them to take root cuttings, lest I ruin their bliss. Yet I suppose I'd better sometime. Have you succeeded using leaf cuttings?

Hi Joseph, hi noah...

my plants look a lot like noahs and I got the same good results from root cuttings. Leaf cuttings worked, too. What a shame, my plants never flowered up to now...too warm dormancy I think. Any tips?

Jan

Wow,
I like hamiltonii alot.I want to add them to my collection.Do they produce seeds or do you have to have cuttings?
Mark W.

They do produce seeds, but it is not easy to find hamiltonii seeds in cultivation as the species is often difficult to flower and does not self well.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Noah, nice plants and nice photo.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

It was the second Drosera I ever flowered, yet I have not been able to repeat the event for almost 3 decades now. But, honestly I haven't tried as much as I should have. I will give some a few months in my dormancy chamber (refrigerator), and see if that helps. I have produced them from leaf cuttings, but root cutting are much faster, I have taken to using them more than leaf cuttings. If I ever get it to flower again, I will, of course, attempt to get seed. It would be fun to start them from seed as I've never had the opportunity before (all seed acquired as Drosera hamiltonii seed proved to be, in actuality, Drosera aliciae
sad.gif
). Now, that isn't 100% bad, just kinda disappointing.

Right after this photo was taken I transferred all of these little ones from the bed of LFS where the root pieces lay on the surface until they had produced these plantlets into a little larger and deeper undrained tray, in a mixture of peat/pumice (50/50) mud. I will keep it wet to the surface until all the little plantlets show they are growing again before I reduce the water level.</span>

Hi CP2K,

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They do produce seeds, but it is not easy to find hamiltonii seeds in cultivation as the species is often difficult to flower and does not self well.

Have you succeeded in getting this species to produce seed? I looked it up in the Savage Garden yesterday, and Peter reports that the flowers don't produce seed. He's been wrong on other things though, and I could see that it's just a matter of them not selfing well.

I too will attempt a colder dormancy. I'd love to get some flowers, I've heard they are quite large and showy.

cheers,

-noah

I would assume that those plants are all from one clone because of their vigorous asexual propagation methods and that you will need two clones to get seeds.

But only a guess...

Hi Noah,

I haven't even been able to flower the species:(

I know a bit about plant genetics (were talking about it this month in highshool)
Um if i remember right, some plants cant be selfed because the seedlings would be identicle as the parents. With cross- polination you get variation! If the habitat changes but the plant does'nt, how will it survive?

Its a clever survival tactic really. Its why pigmies flower too!

Uhhh,
I think!

Pinguiculaman,

I think you have rooting hormone in your blood! You seem to have the magic touch. I aspire to one day to be Droseraman, Nepman or something, right now I'm just man who does about average with everthing carnivorous. It just doesn't sound as cool!

Good job.

Glenn

Anyone know the basics and advanced cultivation for this plant?

Now if I can only figure out how to get them to grow as well as I can propagate them.

That is very true for me too... It is super easy to propagate these plants, but I find it more challenging to keep a plant growing well rather than to propagate it.

example :D

043.JPG

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/samples/Cult272Dham.htm

I just grow mine outdoors all year round. They haven't flowered yet after four years but they keep clumping. They apparently need winter temperatures in the low 40sF to flower. They apparently are not self-compatible so you probably need genetically different plants to get seed.

They can be found growing with Cephalotus follicularis so if you can grow Cephalotus you should be able to grow these. Drosera hamiltonii do not seem to be very picky about substrate, pure peat moss seems to work as well as the standard CP mixes (50/50 sand-perlite/peat moss). They'll probably grow fine in pure sand. And they don't mind standing water.

01300014copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back