What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collecting Byblis liniflora seeds

I have some Byblis liniflora seed pods... but they seem to pop open on their own without warning all the time! I mean, one day they're green, the next I see all the seeds gone, pod opened. How can i tell if they're ripe for me to pick the seeds out myself?

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>How I do it:
I strike when I can see the little dark seed through the semi-transparent seedpod wall. I just pluck them off like peas from the vine. When I gently grasp them between my thumb and forefinger and then snip the pod from the plant with tiny sharp scissors, then drop it onto a dry paper towel. I then set the seed in a safe location until they are thoroughly dry before cleaning them on white card stock paper with a small card of the same paper to sort them from the chaff. Then I put them into small plastic vials, next I put a cotton ball to hold the seed on the bottom of the vial, and last I put a gelcap of indicator dye dessicant to keep the seed as dry as possible. With this technique I have seed of Byblis liniflora harvested in June of 1988 that still germinates at nearly 100%.</span>

Back