What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D. 'Marston Dragon' and root cutting

I have a mature D. 'Marston Dragon' and it is flowering (again). How much energy does it take out of this plant to put up a stalk? I am planing on pollinating it with a root cutting, but am unsure of it because I wonder how resiliant the plant would be to diasese and all. The only real reason I am letting it flower is to get pics for BobZ. The plant seemingly has slowed it's production down quite a bit. Shifting gears a bit...I have several root cuttings (yes, these are for the people that posted for them in the tfs) that have some tenticles turning black on the ends. I figure that this is from too much water, but I am just really looking for confirmation on that. One last thing, how long does it take for a root cutting (just the root with no outward evidence of producing growth) take to take root and grow? Thanks for all...

I let my plants flower. It doesn't really seem to affect them, and I love these large flowers! The pollination attempt may not work: often these plants require a different clone to set seed. I have never reproduced the plants by root cuttings: mine make so many offsets that there has never been a need. Possibly Pinguiculaman has some experience with this to offer to you.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>My Drosera 'Marston Dragon' grow like most of the other Drosera binata varieties. Strike easily from root, leaf and flower stem cuttings. I do my leaf and flower stalk cuttings floating them in water.

I too have no problems with flowers. I just let them alone. If I have other Drosera binata in bloom at the same time I will often make seed by cross-pollinating the different clones.

Some possible reasons for leaf tip trouble.
Leaf tips dying or black usually = not enough water, TDS of media/water too high, humidity too low, mite attack, lack of certain nutrients, and/or lack of sufficient light.</span>

Back