What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I used perlite

Hi,
I got my D. closterostigma yesterday and planted them in a lot of perlite and an amout of peat. Will this work okay, because I know they grow in sandy soil, not perlite soil, but perlite is kinda like sand? I don't have sand

thanks

Sand would be best, but I like your thinking when sand is lacking lol. Your plant should be fine, as long as the roots are covered nicely with peat and perlite. Perlite tends to be quite large compared to sand, so many large air holes around roots may cause lack of water, etc to roots. Monitor. If something looks wrong, try using more peat to perlite. Good luck-Zach

If you run out of sand or have none, pulverize some perlite into smaller grains either in an old blender like me or in a Ziploc baggie and grind it with your hands. It is much smaller graded and is almost a mimic sand.

ok, thanks
biggrin.gif

Use a mask if you do what Dustin suggests, lol. Not good to get in the lungs.

Regards,

Joe

Thanks for adding that Joe. I learned that the hard way....
tounge.gif

Drosera dude that avitar is so cool!
smile.gif

Back