What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis

So, I'm getting the Byblis liniflora from Copper. My question is, if the plant seems to be dying when I get it, what are some emergency propogation techniques I can use? I've heard that you can cut the growth tip off and stick it in the ground and it will root just like a cutting. Any suggestions to reduce shock?

SF

Wow!  Excelent post with a excelent question.  
Sorry I don't have an answer for you.  I do know that if the top of the plant grows too funky that you can cut the top off and the bottom will grow back from the roots.
But, I don't know if there is  anything you can do with the top to produce plants. I wish you much luck! Make sure to let us know how it all goes.
Andrew

Snowy,
The only thing that comes to my mind, is to use Superthrive like you normally would for transplanting. I really don't know if it would help or hurt though.

rock.gif

BCK

I dunno, my byblis died from root problems, after flowering once.
sad.gif
My seedlings are almost an inch!

Snowy...I hate to be a doom-sayer but you'll be very lucky if you get those plants alive. Byblis are very fragile plants, don't like root disturbance and the seedlings are just so..."soft", for lack of a better word. This is why you almost never seed Byblis plants or seedlings offered for sale by nurseries. Its almost always seed thats sold. An unhappy Byblis seedling won't last long.

I cannot imagine a cut piece of Byblis would survive just stuck in the ground. However, I haven't tried it so what do I know.
smile.gif
I left my Byblis alone as much as possible...but I didn't have enough plants to experiment with.

Of course I wish you the best of luck there...maybe you can defy the odds.
smile.gif

Good luck...I hope they make it.
smile.gif

I think dean cook ships byblis, which is kinda strange since no one else ships those plants. Also, I think b. gigantea might be able to handle stuff like shipping, since it can be repotted. of course I've never been able to get one of those. I replanted my really tiny byblis seedlings a couple of times, and 3 out of 6 are alive and happy.

I think "really tiny" is the key. When they are small, I think you can gently transplant them. Key is...no root disturbance. Seedlings don't have much of a root system.

Yep PAK, I know my chances. Hopefully, I will beat the odds. That's one of the reasons I posted this, to see if there was anything I could to do to even up the odds a little bit.

SF

Well when you get it, be shure to tell us all if you beat the odds or not

I am going to attempt to disturb the roots as little as possible, but of course there will be shock. I have the plants three to a pot (deep). I am going to remove all the soil as a plug, cut the plugs, leaving some of the soil around the roots. I will then protect the plant with plastic. Let me knowif it works.

I will try this, but I have found that with pygmies I have better luck if the plant is removed from the soil and wrapped in a wet paper towel.

My pygmys from you didn`t start growing till last week but know they are growing with a vengence!

Back