What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ecology of a Cp pot...

f97a7a04.jpg

Is this a flower? Im guessing yes. They are red, but not open. Should I try to get seeds? Or cut it down. Based upon the leaf size, it seems to have sapped the plants energy a bit.

The plant, BTW is a D. adelae. I heard someone here mention it was difficult to get them to flower. I've been neglecting this plant, its under a large Cheeseball jar(the PBJ jar is now to small), so it doesn't need much water. It doesn't get much light either. This situation seems to suite it well.

f97a7695.jpg

And Im guessing this is a baby. Right? It looks like it caught something to eat already.
smile.gif

f97a6dd3.jpg

Ant 1: So do you come here often?

Ant 2: No, only once.

Interesting pictures!

Yes, this is a flower stalk that you can see, congratulation! Mine are flowering easily, more especially after a little shock like when I am dividing the pot
tounge.gif
. Each time, the young plants are sending few scapes after this operation.

What should I do with the flowers? The baby plant?

I got a baby plant from an adelae that had a problem- it climbed and only had one leaf with "dew" at a time. The baby plant is now climbing too. oh well. anyway, I transplanted it into my n. bicalcarata pot for fun and then into my n. ampullaria pot. its ok now. They grow pretty fast, so if you want to leave it in the pot thats ok, or transplant it.

Okay, I'll see how two plants will look. Has anyoen had any experience of obtaining D. adelae seed?

I hear that adelae is one of those species that don`t usually produce seed. Congrats on the stalk and plantlet!
smile.gif

Good luck with the seed. However, with my experience with D. adelae, you will get MORE than enough plantlets off of the roots and you ever could with seed (<-exaggeration).

If you grow that plant in something with clear sides, like a fishbowl, the amount of plantlets that will form off of the roots will be overwhelming. Also, my D. adelae flowerd quite happily in a semi-eclosed fishbowl. I'll try to post some pictures one of these days of my old adelae fishbowl.

Would you reccomend me to try that? Not to sure if Im going to though, as Im a little nervous about repotting it. Of course ,should they overrun me, I might be able to trade or give em away.

An update on the stalk. It is now almost completely vertical, except the flowers, which are still curled under a bit. They are reddish right now.

Yeah dont worry about seed, this plant grows like a weed!

Jerry

The stalk resembles a J or a fish hook. I think its about time.

Oh, and you guys seemed to have jinxed me! At the mention of sprouting from the roots, the plant did just as you said. That makes 2 baby sundews(that Im aware of, the plants leaves bock the view).

Since the second one is so near the edge, Im considering removing it to another pot. Does anyone have any suggestions for that? How would I go about it? How big must the plant be?

I'll revive this one,
When you decide to repot the little one (which you could do right about now judging by the date of your post) you'll find the plant most likely on a runner. this is going to be a pretty long root that runs close to the surface. The root will probably continue past the plant you can see. Snip the root on both sides of the plant making sure that the plantlet has a few roots of it's own. You can the place both ends of the root you cut just sticking out of the soil(about 1/8" to 1/4"). In another month you should have new plantlet from the point you just divided from. I would worry to much about killing any of the plants. Just be carefull with the roots. I disturb the one I have growing in a 6" pot and every time I do it responds by multiplying profusely.

Yep, you are pretty good with the date. The leaves are no longer rounded and are starting to look a bit longer. I can see the runner too. To bad I've got no extra sphagnum around. Maybe I could use them in a trade...if anyone wants a D. adelae plantlet...lol

Back